Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Conversations, Observations & Experiences

Here are some recent conversations, cultural observations and experiences in no particular order:

  • Sent our insurance agent an email (after 7pm) from my church office two weeks ago after our break-in and he called my cellphone before I got home! Said he had "Blackberry-itis," and can't ignore the flashing light on his. I've tried text messaging on my cellphone and it's addictive. Last thing I need is email coming directly to my waistline, I'd never be able to give people my undivided attention in conversations. Ummmmmmmmm apparently it's happening all over. Why do we often let things intended to simplify and streamline life make life more complicated?
  • It's official, one out of every six people I encountered in a single day last week greeted me, or responded to my greeting as we met at store entrances, restaurants, etc. Perhaps more disturbing were the number of people who looked me straight in the eye and never said a word, not even "thank-you" while holding a door open for them, or saying, "hello," to them. We are becoming so self-absorbed that we are downright rude and unfriendly. While it may be optional for the culture, consideration for others is never optional for Christ-followers.
  • A friend who is a very mature, biblical and joyful Christ-follower recently commented that he believes over 75% of those who profess to be Christians are not! I asked him why and he cited example after example of people who are good Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc., but don't act like Jesus, spend little time in God's Word and give no evidences of the fruit of the spirit (Gal. 5:22ff) in their family, work and leisure. His point was that we've raised people to be great church members, but lousy disciples or followers who practice the Jesus way. He didn't say it with condescension, spiritual arrogance or a sense of judgement. He was heartbroken about it with a biblical grief. He may be right, he may be wrong, it's not my call, but trying to model your life after Jesus is not optional if you profess to be one of His followers!
  • Perhaps the strongest case for democracy was recentlly made when Iranian president Ahmadinejad and Venzueulan president Chavez stood in the heart of NYC (at the United Nations) and assailed the United States and her leaders without the threat of persecution, prosecution or retribution. Would their governments be so committed to free speech that they would allow American politicians and leaders to do the same in Venzuela and Iran? I'm with Democratic New York Congressman Charles Rangel who responded to Chavez's vitrolic comments toward President Bush: "You don't come into my country, you don't come into my congressional district and you don't condemn my president!"
  • Wouldn't it be cool if Jesus could get the same kind of wall to wall news coverage that NFL receiver Terrell Owens gets whenever he says, or does anything? Nothing against Owens, but Jesus has done so much more for all of us!
  • If you haven't done so, please stop and pray today for the parents, teachers and students of schools in Colorado, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. All of them have experienced hostage situations and fatal shootings in the last two weeks. I'm reminded that life and children are precious gifts from God.

No comments: