Wednesday, December 06, 2006

One Sweet Bell Ringer

As I was headed into one of those large "box" stores this week, a woman was at her post ringing that familiar bell with the red kettle. She was a hoot! She sang, greeted every single person, even the Scrooge-like, no nonsense personalities who tried to get by her without being noticed. She was full of joy and the absolute spirit of Christmas that says, "I'm less concerned with what you think of me and how I'm acting than I am with making sure everyone knows the joy of the season."
I know the Salvation Army relies on volunteer bell ringers (our church has staffed the kettle several times), but they should hired this woman with the incredible smile and infectious spirit to train inexperienced bell-ringers. Her winsome spirit made my day.

Two types of people pass by the red kettles at Christmas. Those who give and those who don't. Regardless of excuses it boils down to giving at the moment or not. I usually don't carry much cash, but during Advent, I do my best to have some with me while I'm out so I can give to those kettles. No, I'm not trying to make a show of my gifts and I usually try to do it quietly without notice. Our largest giving is spent on our Angel Tree children and our church Christmas offering, but those kettles need our gifts as well.

Cash contributions both great and small help insure that the Salvation Army can continue to offer a variety of worthwhile, year-round ministries. And their administrative overhead is one of the lowest among non-profit, charitable organizations. So for the rest of December, why not get a roll or two of quarters and put them in the car? As you enter or leave a store be sure to put something into the ol' red kettles. You never know who your gifts might clothe, feed, house or help!

Since I didn't have any change when I entered or left the store, I made a point to get some change out when I returned to my car and pulled up in front of the all-star bell ringer. She was still shouting, singing and greeting folks when I got out and headed toward her kettle. Her response was priceless: "Bless you baby and thanks for coming back. God bless you young man and merry Christmas." Ha! I can't remember the last time someone called me young. As I walked to the car I thanked God for the spirit and attitude of a very large, infectiously joyous woman who reminded me what Christmas is all about. I'm going to do my best to emulate her attitude and joy toward others in my travels this Christmas. It's downright contagious. Don't forget to feed the kettles!

No comments: