Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Go With God My Little Redhead!


My Mom recently had surgery. As my Dad wheeled her out of the recovery room and we stood in a hospital hallway with my sister, family and the student pastor from their church, I couldn't help but think to myself: "This woman has given so much of her life to helping others." She has been a faithful spouse and pastoral partner for 50+ years; a mother who raised two children and buried an infant daughter; an RN who spent most of her nursing career in the hard charging world of ER and ICU; a leader who has devoted her whole life to ministry, missions, studying and teaching God's Word and serving through His church; and someone who has not only offered wise counsel, but also held the hands of hundreds of hurting women throughout the years who simply needed a shoulder to cry on, godly wisdom, encouragment, authentic prayer, accountability and unconditional love.

I don't think she has the slightest idea how many lives she has affected for the cause of Christ, through all of these years of faithful service. If she did she wouldn't be Mom!

I can't recall how many times she saved me from myself, but allowed me to be me while giving me the time, space and unconditional love that enabled me to experience God's grace and calling. I'm sure she would've loved for that to have been sooner rather than later, but she simply trusted me to God through prayer.

Mom, I pray you will get rest, refreshment and renewal as you recover. I ask God to bring you complete healing and I thank Him for bringing you through surgery. Praise to Him for a successful surgery. All glory and accolades to Him. Thank you for your faithfulness all these years. Thanks for your passion for the hurting, broken and wounded. Thanks for being strong at times when I know you felt like caving. Thanks for always asking, "What is God saying about this in your prayers and study of His Word?" Thank you for modeling authentic faith filled with humor and transparency instead of the often misguided and unrealistic expectations churches can place upon its ministers, spouses and families. Now hurry up and get better. Your church needs you and so does "Nurse Bill". Fare thee well my Irish redhead! Love, Monty

No comments: