Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Great Pumpkin

Did you know Halloween is a rapidly becoming as popular as Christmas in terms of total retail sales? Think about it. Costumes, candy, those crazy decorations, and even Halloween themed clothing is a cash cow for retailers. Halloween was an epic event during my childhood. Much to the chagrin of legalistic, fundamental Christians it did not cause me to worship Satan or engage in witchcraft as an adult. However, I think the annual network showing of the animated "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" was nearly idoltrous in sheer viewing numbers.

My memories of Halloween are tied to pumpkins, bobbing for apples, fall festivals, hayrides, going to the apple orchard, changing leaves, wild costumes, bonfires and candy. Yes tons of candy. And did I forget to mention church? I'm sure that did not play well in some uptight quarters. Rewind: And did I forget to mention church?

Yes, I actually remember the members of our church gathering to host a haunted house and putting on one of the coolest Halloween festivals. No one thought to call it "Fall Festival" or "Trunk or Treat", or some other alternative named cooked up by some well-meaning, but misguided people with way too much time on their hands. Since I'm remembering this from childhood, it was larger than life. The child in me remembers Christ-followers simply having fun, laughing and carrying on. It showed me at an early age that the church could not only be the source of spiritual inspiration, but also a source of great joy.

If memory serves me right the baseball playoffs and World Series were long over by Halloween back then. We could only wish that were so today. Football is the sport of choice for the season. They say (still don't know who "they" is) the pumpkin patches are lighter this year due to the drought. Produce experts say we'd be better off going to a produce market or grocery to purchase the annual giant orange ball.

As I've grown older my passion for Halloween has waned greatly and shifted to a passion for Fall foliage. It appears the drought is affecting that one this year too. Enjoy the cool nights, crisp mornings and what little color show the trees put on for us this year. May it remind all of us that we ARE NOT in charge. God is changing things in His creation with the annual change of seasons. Take it all in friends and redeem the time. Thank you Lord for the changing weather, colorful trees, and the opportunity to simply have fun! Our world needs more of it. So pass the candy!

No comments: