Monday, November 05, 2007

Leave It to God!


Prescript: About eight years ago I shuttled a very popular professor and prophetic theologian (he's now retired from teaching, but is still publishing books and speaking around the country) from the Nashville airport to our annual state denominational meeting. He is still one of my heroes in ministry and life. The trip was long enough to allow me to pick his brain and ask him some tough questions. This was not our first time together. Most of my questions were couched in getting his opinion or thoughts on subjects that related directly to a major move we were praying through at the time. One of my questions: "Knowing what you know now at this point in your ministry and life, what would you do differently if you were starting over as a young pastor?" He didn't hesitate. He quickly said (paraphrased), "You know I've spent a lot of time criticizing the always positive message of _________________(he named a prominent pastor who had been on national television for years). But he's probably helped more people than I have. Many of us have criticized him and his approach, but I think I would probably preach more positive messages."

I was not prepared for this answer from one of America's most prophetic voices at the time. Here was a man who had said some really tough things in his books, speaking and preaching. I mean painful truths said in love. They were dangerously honest and penetrating too. They were usually hard to hear, or read. And yet he was looking back at age 60, and reconsidering the tone or nature of his message. While I didn't immediately resonate with his comments, it wasn't until I survived a tough place in ministry that I realized what he was trying to say. I'm still working on it too. Now fast forward to 2007.

I have resisted the temptation to use this blog to join the bandwagon of credible critics of best-selling author and popular mega-church pastor, Joel Osteen. He has plenty of critics whose theology and writings I respect. This blog is not going to be a "Joel Bashing" rant as some might expect or dare say even enjoy. If you need to read what some respected Christian thinkers (and even Osteen himself) are saying there are plenty of places online to go. Several links for those articles, interviews and commentary are provided below in no particular order or preference.

Back to my car ride with Tony Campolo. My church membership, ministry of presence, tithes, offerings and resources are not parked at Osteen's church. He is accountable to God and his church, elders and overseers. I am not his judge. I do have an opinion, but I'd really like to let scripture argue my position. Did he say scripture? In Acts 5 the Apostles are persecuted and brought before the Sanhedrin. Peter stood up firmly for Jesus and they were ready to put Peter and the others to death. But a Pharisee named Gamaliel, who was highly respected by all of them asked for the apostles to be put outside while he addressed the group:

"Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

This side of that first century interrogation we now know the truth. Peter and the Apostles were from God and the real deal. The rest of the Bible tells their story. So in regard to Joel Osteen and other ministries (many of them called "Prosperity Gospel") I am going to leave it to God. Some feel the need to be the theological gatekeepers and determine who is right, who is wrong, who is authentic, etc. I'm not smart enough to be in that group. I do know that when I spend more time criticizing and analyzing someone else's ministry, I tend to spend less time questioning and examining my own ministry and motives. Theologian Michael Horton has even gone so far as to say Osteen is a biblical heretic. Go to this link for a list of Dr. Horton's essays on Osteen: http://www.wscal.edu/faculty/wscwritings/horton.osteen.php

Horton may be right, but I'm not sure it's his call. Horton is a brilliant, respected theologian with big time credentials. But did his public comments aired on CBS edify the body and exalt the Savior? Have my private conversations on this done so? Ouch! Many of these brilliant critics would say it is indeed their duty and responsibility to "guard" the flock and defend the Scriptures.

Me, I've got enough to keep me busy with my own flock, and my own shortcomings of which there are many. So with Acts 5:34-39, in mind, I leave Joel Osteen to God. I do have my own thoughts and opinions on his theology and approach but to publicly air them would not serve to edify the church and exalt our Savior. So Joel you have my prayers and I will treat you the way I want to be treated and the way Jesus counsels us to treat others, with unconditional love. I'm even going to pray that your passion for Christ and God's Word will increase and that the Gospel will pierce hardened and even apathetic hearts through your ministry.

Sites Related to Joel Osteen and His Critics:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/11/60minutes/main3358652.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di9-PebV634
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukcV-xtU3hc http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/reactions-to-the-60-minutes-joel-osteen-piece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IuiUOapK1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwYU2pmWYQ

3 comments:

Jim Lamb said...

Some discussion of this may fit in with next week's 2 Peter 12-21 lesson. Joel Osteen is not a threat to my Christianity, so I personally would wonder if you went on and on about him.

Monty Carter said...

Yeah it's hard to believe how all these theologians, major network reporters (CBS, NBC), newspapers, magazines and ministers are devoting so much time and space to this.

Jim Lamb said...

Hmmm. I have not seen the news in four days. Glad the world did not come to an end during that time. I would urge all those other ministers to back off too.