Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Old & New Friends


Everyone needs an old friend.  Old friends are trusted, like your favorite leather coat.  They are well worn, know your wrinkles, creases and imperfections.  You don't have to prove yourself to old friends. They love you despite your flaws. You have traveled miles together.  

You don't ask a new friend to drive with you for several hours to go to the doctor and then sit while you have a procedure and have them drive home while you try to recover and relax.   The picture (top) above is my old friend, Dan.  We have traveled many miles together and we have many more to go.  Dan and I serve together on staff at Mosaic.  He drove me home from Wake Forest after my post-surgery exam and the removal of my ureteral stent, agh.  Now that's a real friend!  It seemed so appropriate that he be there since he was with me when they discovered my tumor in February.  I go back in six-weeks to see if my reconstructed ureter is working. Dan has covered most of the pastoral duties at MCF, during my two-month, medical absence.  He's taught me a great deal about ministry and left some big shoes to fill upon my return.  We're as different as night and day, but somehow we click.  We're kindred spirits.  He makes me laugh and his passion for the things of God stretches me.  I'm so grateful that God brought Dan, Kelly and Jake in my life.  

The big guy in the picture on the bottom is my new friend, Hogan.  He's a six year-old, American bulldog with the blood pressure of an anvil.  He's one laid back bully.  Even though he's a new friend, Hogan has shown me unconditional love since we met.  His gentle nature, constant presence and always eager greeting is like my old leather jacket---it's consistent, reassuring and provides me great comfort.  I'm looking forward to traveling many more miles with Hogan.   I hope he finds as much comfort in his new friend as I have in him.  

Everyone needs old friends and new ones.  Is there an old friend you need to call, write, email or visit today?  Do it and don't hesitate because time is short.  Made any new friends lately? Don't close yourself off to new possibilities.  Give yourself to something larger than you.  Yes, it's risky, but you'll be amazed at how much you learn from new friends and the ways God can use you to minister.  Yes, I have some new human friends too, but we're still building trust and the last thing I would do is to post their picture, or story in a blog!  Grateful for old and new friends, how bout you? 

No comments: