Thursday, August 20, 2009

Life Storms

I don’t know what’s worse, riding out a storm, or the initial impact. If you know it’s coming the initial impact isn’t nearly as bad as if it catches you off guard. But then there’s the constant battering when you’re trying to survive it. The blowing winds, driving rains and destructive forces of nature begin to take their toll.

A close friend is riding out a major storm right now. It’s rough. My heart aches for him. You don’t know whether to start bailing water, risk leaving for safety, or remain hunkered down. Rough part is a mutual friend of ours went through a similar storm the last year and a half. He survived to sail a
nother day and the sun has come out once again in his life.

I grieve for my friends because I know what it’s like from personal experience and because I’m one of those types who really empathize with friends and family who are going through pain or struggle. I wish I could keep it at a distance like a lot of you do. I envy that ability. The “mercy meter” on my DNA card is just really high. It’s not for attention, or something I use to “top” the stories of those around me in their own pain or trouble. I genuinely hurt and ache for their situation.

These are both strong men. They have a deep and abiding faith. They both teem with passion for God and His church. Yet, it’s the all too human church at the center of both storms. As a PK, I’m especially tenderized to the fallout these kinds of storms have on pastor’s wives and children. Guess you could say I’ve had a front row seat too more than a few of these storms over the years. Yes, the sun eventually shines again, but the storms leave their marks, even in the healthiest of situations.

Both my friends know that a flawed church should never be confused with a faithful Savior. The two are not the same. One is still making mistakes and takes a step backward for every tw
o it makes in progress. The other is without blemish, spot, or wrinkle. He has never failed and His love and mercy have never waned for them, or me (you too!). I often wonder how something purchased at such a precious price and sacrifice can act in complete ignorance, or disregard for the kind of love it took to create it (the church)? Put it another way: How can those who have been saved by so much love and humility fail to extend it to those around them? I’m quickly reminded of my own flaws, imperfections and depravity. I’m equally as capable of such blatant disregard for God’s Word that produces the host cell for these wicked and damaging storms.

Control and power usually combine to launch these starter cells. At the end of the day most of it can be reduced to simple pride. English author, Samuel Johnson said, “Pride is seldom delicate: it will please itself with very mean advantages.” Both of my friends have experienced those “mean advantages” this year. But long before them another man whose heart beat passionately for God penned some extraordinary words of hope. My words are woefully lacking compared to these. It’s with a prayer for sunshine for my storm swept friend that I offer them as an offering, and one of gratitude for the one who has weathered his storm. If you’re in a storm may it bring you as much comfort as it has brought me:

1 Fret not yourself because of evildoers;
be not envious of wrongdoers!
2For they will soon fade like the grass
and wither like the green herb.

3 Trust in the LORD, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him, and he will act.
6 He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
and your justice as the noonday.

7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way,
over the man who carries out evil devices!

8 Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath!
Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
9 For the evildoers shall be cut off,
but those who wait for the LORD shall inherit the land.

10In just a little while, the wicked will be no more;
though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there.
11But the meek shall inherit the land
and delight themselves in abundant peace.
---Psalm 37:1-11 ESV

No comments: