Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Cling To" Promises

For many years I've practiced having one or more "cling to" verses of Scripture. Last Spring before my surgery and health battle it was Romans 12:12:

12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

A friend wrote it on a card and God used it to remind me that ours is a patient hope rooted in prayer despite life's problems and challenges. These "cling to" or "go to" verses are like salve or aloe poured onto blistered or burned skin. They bring comfort, encouragement, strength and affirmation of our faith in God. Every Christ-follower should have a "cling to" verse and they should change as we move through the seasons of life. Here are a few I've had over the years:

22 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
23they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 "The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
"therefore I will hope in him." 25The LORD is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul who seeks him.
26 It is good that one should wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:22-26)

3 Trust in the LORD, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart. 5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him, and he will act. (Psalm 37:3-4)

11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. (Jeremiah 29:11-12)

16Thus says the LORD:"Stand by the roads, and look,
and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way is; and walk in it,
and find rest for your souls. (Jeremiah 6:16a)

Having a difficult time right now? Lonely? Depressed? Uncertain? Worried or anxious about something? Feeling hopeless as you walk with someone down the road of illness? Upset, angry, disappointed? Joyful, grateful, thankful? Whatever you are going through rest assured God's Word can speak to your situation. Search the Scriptures and find a verse that speaks to your situation and "cling to" it. Make sure you read the larger passage so you have a proper perspective on it and aren't just pulling something out of context. Write it down and carry it with you. Use "post-its" and put it in multiple places you will see it throughout the day. Read it out loud and pray over it. I promise God's Word will speak to you. It has spoken to me over and over throughout the years.

No comments: