Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Life's Gifts

Country singer-songwriter Kenny Chesney's latest hit, "I'm Alive" is a duo with Dave Matthews. The chorus goes like this:

Breathin' in and out's a blessing can't you see Today's the first day of the rest of my life and I'm alive And well...I'm alive and well

Every time I hear that song I'm reminded that every day is a gift from God. Every time we see the light of day it's a gift. Every time we breath in and out is a gift. Every smile of a small child is a gift. Every wink or nod from a senior adult is a gift. Every leaf, cloud, sunset, blowing wind and drop of rain is a gift. James says every good and perfect gift is from God:

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

It's easy to lose sight of life's gifts. It's easy to take God's grace for granted. Gratitude is the appropriate response to God's gifts. Gratitude is how we keep from taking God's gifts for granted. Grateful hearts see ALL of life as a gift, even times of heartache and challenge. Grateful hearts can readily proclaim, "Today's the first day of the rest of my life and I'm alive". Kenny's song is almost complete, but that line needs four words added at the end: Thanks be to God!

No comments: