Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Words Are Powerful

Have you ever noticed how hard it is for certain words, or phrases to come to us? Think about it. When’s the last time you said to someone:

I’m sorry
•I was wrong

•It’s my fault
•What can I do to make this right?
•You go first
•I dropped the ball


While these words have grow faint in our culture others seem to be growing:

I want….
•I won’t bend until she does
•I deserve…..

•He had better apologize

•She is a……
•I hear he has………
•They hurt me…..

Pronouns can help, heal, or hurt:

I love you
• We hate her
• They are a blessing
• He’s a jerk

• You are amazing

• She is a class act

Words can bless and words can tear down. People with a critical spirit are fluent in poison-tipped words. Humble people use words laced with the love of God. Some words come too easy and others are held hostage by pride and insecurity. I am responsible for my words, but many times my words are irresponsible and lacking in grace. Christ-followers should use words that build up, encourage, support, help and demonstrate humility and grace.

I find it interesting that Jesus’ words in the gospels, even the tough ones bring glory to God and were never self-serving. According to Jesus we had better think twice about the words we use: I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak (Matt. 12:36 ESV).

May God help us with every word we speak, or fail to say!

No comments: