Wednesday, June 01, 2011

A Much Needed Prayer

As a minister's child and pastor I believe I have a deep and unique appreciation for the prayers on behalf of our spiritual leaders. As a child I was a beneficiary of those who prayed for my pastor father. As an adult layman, I knew the difference our prayers made in the life of our pastor, David and his wife, Amy many, many years ago. Now 20+ years later I can testify to the immeasurable strength, hope, healing, humility and support the prayers of the faithful bring upon those who lead. Prayer is probably the most under utilized and underestimated action those in the faith community can practice on behalf of their spiritual leaders. Prayer is the foundational support for those in ministry whether pastoral staff, elders, deacons, small group, or other leaders in the local church.

Dr. Richard Foster offers the following prayer for spiritual leaders. Let me encourage you to pray this over your pastor, small group leader, or a deacon in your church. They will be absolutely blown away, I promise!

I pray, dear God, for our spiritual leaders.
  • Increase in them the charism (spiritual grace) of faith that they might preach the Word of God with boldness.
  • Increase in them the charism of wisdom that they might always lead us with compassion and strength.
I intercede, O Lord for our spiritual leaders.
  • Grow in them the fruit of gentleness that they might understand our frailty.
  • Grow in them the fruit of peace that they might be free of manipulation.
  • Grow in them the fruit of love that they might always serve out of a divine well spring.
I plead, gracious Father, for our spiritual leaders.
  • Protect them from the attacks of the evil One.
  • Protect them from the distractions that render their work ineffective.
  • Protect them from the criticism of well-meaning people.
All these thanks I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

No comments: