Monday, May 21, 2012

I owe my love of fishing to my father-in-law, Gene.  Although I fished with worms as a kid, he taught me how to really fish as an adult.  Dad’s patience with me in the boat was long and steady.
He took this novice and created an average fisherman who fell in love with it.

I can replay so many times when we went fishing together.  The fondest memories are just the two of us fishing for bass, crappie and blue gill on their lake in Central Indiana.  That man has forgotten more about fishing than most of us will ever know.  I am forever indebted to him for instilling this passion in me because I was able to pass it along to my son under Dad’s watchful eye and seasoned counsel.  Both of us taught Casey how to fish when he was very young.  More him than me if I’m to be honest.  And later, my son’s father-in-law to be would take Casey’s passion for bass fishing to another level.

Casey and I love to fish.  So does my wife and his mom.  And so does his wife!  We will work on our infant granddaughter too!  Fishing is something you can do at any age.  Like bowling, it is one of those great family outings.  I remember taking my grandfather fishing when he was nearly 90.  We had some worms and two old rod and reels of his.  It was a special time for me.  I never would’ve taken him had my father-in-law not rekindled my childhood love for fishing a few years before I took my grandfather out in West Kentucky.

These pics are from a recent outing on Saluda Lake here in SC.  We had fished all morning and not one bite or strike.  We were getting a little frustrated and then boom, a bass hit my crank bait.  And then another one.  And then a bigger one for Casey, which is typical!  Seems like I’m just keeping up a family tradition as Dad Mills’ son and my brother-in-law, Kevin is a master bass fisherman.  We tease him, but it’s true, he can put his finger in lake water and attract fish!

If you have never fished, let me encourage you to try it with your child, spouse, or grandchild.  It is a gift for life.  BTW, no fish were killed, cleaned, or eaten in this outing.  For the most part we are big “catch and release” fisherman.  And before my fishing critics chime in just remember that fishing is biblical!  Can you imagine cooking fish on the beach and having breakfast with Jesus?  Andrew and Peter must have some whopper fishing stories.  I can’t wait to hear them in heaven.  

No comments: