Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Problem of Drawing Circles

So last night my son and I ate at a Chick-Fil-A on the way back from the Charlotte area.  Guess what?  I will eat there again and soon!  Not long ago I ordered something from Amazon and even purchased a gift card for someone.  I will order something from Amazon again!  Here’s the deal.  The CEO’s of both companies hold polar opposite views on the issue of gay marriage.  You may have recently heard something about it.

Just because I purchased items from either business doesn’t mean I support or agree with their respective stand on social, religious, or moral issues.  It would be like saying because I use Microsoft, or Apple software/products on my computer, I totally support their policy to provide benefits for gay couples.  Or that cheering for Penn State means you endorse the horrible actions of Jerry Sandusky.  Or that by purchasing an item made in China means you support communism.  Check your household items before you lob that stone of judgment!

I know this isn’t a popular response with the two extremes on this issue, but call me crazy, heck call me an adult!  Both sides want me and thousands of others to make purchases or patronage in regard to moral stands, but this version of extreme legalism/fundamentalism is dangerous because at some point you won’t be able to draw a line without excluding yourself.   The problem with drawing circles is that sooner or later you draw yourself outside of the circle.  Where do you draw the line?  For example, let’s say you know your plumber loves to gamble, or is having an affair.  Your not close, or even friends beyond professional experience.  So if you contract him to fix something at your house then you are supporting adultery or gambling?  Or what about Walmart?  They are paying huge fines for overcharging in the U.S. and facing bigger fines for bribing in Mexico. So if you shop at Walmart you endorse overcharging and bribery?   I have a few Nike shirts and hats does that mean I agree with Tiger Woods on everything?  Does cheering for Clemson’s Sammy Watkins mean you support the legalization of marijuana?  Nope, the kid made a mistake.  See how crazy this can become?

Both groups on the extreme ends of these issues are intolerant of each other.  You need to know that for me tolerance doesn’t mean blind support without the right to disagree.  For me, tolerance means I respect your right to believe something, but it’s okay if we disagree and just because we do don’t agree doesn’t mean I am going to demonize those with whom I disagree.  Neither side is gonna like this, but the vitriol coming from both extremes is sickening.  Why do we have to demonize people with whom we disagree?  I like Truett Cathy the founder of Chick-Fil-A.  I’ve read a couple of his books and I like what he has done with his company.  I like his food and I like his stores.  I share the same faith.   I don’t know anything about the founder of Amazon, but I like the creativity, energy and ingenuity that marks their entrepreneurial spirit, but I don’t share his social views.  I’m sure there are things I disagree with at both companies.

Guess what?  I like Chick-Fil-A food!  And I have had a positive experience with purchases through Amazon!  I’m an adult and I will choose which businesses I support.  You can call me “wishy washy,” but at the end of the day it’s my choice.  You make yours and I will make mine.  And guess what?  I will respect your choice even if I disagree.

Years ago a gay friend asked if I would perform a wedding ceremony for some friends.  She knew I wouldn’t but she asked anyway.  I told her I couldn’t legally in the state of South Carolina and I couldn’t biblically because it clashed with what I believe.  She said, “I thought so!  But you still love me don’t you?”  And I said, “Yes, I love you.”

My hero Jesus was accused of being a wine bibber, glutton and friend of sinners.  He hung out with the less than desirables.  No, he didn’t condone or agree with their way of life, His words prove differently.  But He loved and He commands me to love likewise!  There’s the rub.  No one wants to love like Jesus.  We only want to love those with whom we agree, or “fit” our idea of what is right and what is wrong.  And before you throw a stone remember that Jesus loved a woman caught in adultery, but He let her know that He did not approve of her life choices:  “Go and sin no more.”  Clearly Jesus didn’t equate tolerance/respect/love with lifestyle approval.

Paul said it best:  If I clash like a cymbal and don’t have love I am empty a resounding gong (1 Cor. 13).  Maybe it’s time we started listening to one another and loving like Jesus.  Be careful of drawing circles because you might find yourself on the outside at some point.  My two cents and they aren’t worth a thing!

2 comments:

Mike Jewell said...

I appreciate your comments, Pastor. I like the way you think.
Mike

Mark said...

This is why I love you as a friend, counselor, confidant, & more importantly - a fellow believer. Too often, we get distracted by the world & having to pick a side. Jesus had a different, non-worldy view view of things such as this. Seeing you love on people since I've known you has impacted me in a great way. You said it right & on point yet again, friend. To believe, and love, as we have been loved by Him...the world will never understand....thank you for being a broken, flawed dude who is not afraid to say the hard things. We are all so broken & He is the only one to give us grace to move forward.