Thursday, April 25, 2013

Island Christianity?

Islands are great places to visit and relax, but I'm not sure I want to live on one.  I'm not talking about islands like Hilton Head down in Low Country, or Amelia Island, Florida.  I'm talking about islands surrounded by water with no bridges to a mainland.  Mackinaw Island in Michigan is close, but still not as remote as I'm thinking.  Think more along the lines of remote, Pacific Rim, ala "Gilligan's Island".  You get the idea.

When you live on an island like this you are dependent upon others for supplies and resources.  Being "disconnected" has many advantages, but at the end of the day you are still "disconnected".   Many Christ-followers treat their faith like a remote island.  They refuse to connect to the larger faith community and are content to live out their faith on an island.  I call it "Island Christianity".  But there's a huge problem with this kind of theology.  It's not biblical.  It betrays biblical understanding and knowledge.  It denies the total Lordship of Jesus Christ and His death, burial and resurrection to preserve, protect and keep His bride, the church (Eph. 5)

We can't read the Acts of the Apostles, or any of Paul's letters and the rest of the pastoral letters in the New Testament and support "Island Christianity" with a straight face.  The Gospels tell us about a new kind of community God brought through Jesus.  He modeled it with the twelve disciples.  He counseled them about it and how to live in it when He was gone from them.  It previously existed in the Old Testament beginning with Abraham and moving through Moses, David, and more.  At every turn we find community.  A sense of being part of something bigger than self.  Heck, God represents community----Father, Son, and Holy Spirit----The Great Three In One!

So when people tell me, "Oh I'm a Christ-follower, I just choose not to be part of the church, it's so messed up and flawed,"  I really have to hold my tongue.  I think to myself:  "Seriously?  You can stand before the Great Bridegroom and tell Him that with a straight face?"  Hear me.  I'm an adult PK and seasoned pastor.  I, of all people have seen the failings, warts and flaws of the church.  But I have also seen the best she has to offer.  And on her worst day it's better than any island.  Yes, retreat to islands when necessary (even Jesus withdrew), but don't bale on your calling and the commands of Christ.  You have too much to give and you make the body better!

No comments: