Thursday, June 13, 2013

Abba Bill

My father has been in pastoral ministry for 61 years!  Before his retirement from the full-time pastorate he served as pastor of eight churches over a 45 year period.  He pastored churches in Kentucky and Indiana.  During that time he completed his doctorate and performed over 200 weddings and 350+ funerals, not to mention the relocation of a church campus in Indy.  He was never forced or asked to leave a church!

Dad was my pastor for about 25 years.  He is still my favorite teacher and preacher.  He inhales books related to the culture and ministry.  In fact his reading discipline puts mine to shame.  Since retirement he has read something like 200+ books mainly at his away from home office, the local Starbucks where he can be found on most days  pastoring regular customers and Starbucks partners.   He has the heart of a shepherd and absolutely loves people.  His empathy meter is pretty much off the charts.  I can't remember the number of times I've seen him cry over the aches of broken and wounded people in various churches.   I don't think the man has ever met a stranger, or forgotten anyone he has ever met.  His recall of names is downright scary.  Unfortunately, that memory apple fell on my sister, not me.

At home he never asserted his title as pastor as some misguided pastors have been known to do.  He was just Bill, or Dad.  Growing up our home was marked by laughter, funny stories and crazy antics by him and close friends like, Wendell, who died this past year.   One of my favorite memories was our annual trek to Myrtle Beach.  If Dad and Wendell were around there was going to be fun and it was often because they were laughing at themselves.  Corny songs, jokes, and stories over Calabash seafood, beach time, jungle golf, and tons of ice cream made those weeks special.

Dad loves his family.  His grandchildren adore him.  He has left quite a mark upon them.  He and Mom have been an active part of their lives going to their ballgames, plays, musicals, baptisms, and school events over the years.  I love it when I talk to my children and they tell me they were just on the phone with one of their grandparents.  It happens regularly and that says a lot about their relationship.  

Over the years Dad's prayers at family gatherings and meals have become more simple, but profound, precious and prized by our family.  Rarely do they occur without a tear, or a pause for some deep emotion.  He could never get through it, but of all the people I would like to pray at my funeral it would be my Dad!  Mom's faithful prayers keep my funeral from occurring faster than God has planned!  

As I reflect on Dad this Father's Day weekend a few things stick out about him:

  • Loyalty
  • Humility
  • Strong Sense of humor
  • Serving
  • Loving ALL people
  • Character
  • Gentleness

No father is perfect despite what their children might think.  Every single one is flawed in some way.  But there is a great sense of peace in being able to say that your Dad passionately pursued God's will your entire life even when it was tough!  If you can reflect upon your childhood and relationship with your parents in adulthood as pure joy then thank God for that incredible gift.  I can't deny there have been heartaches/disappointments over the years that were mainly my own doing, but the overwhelming memories for me are pure joy.   I have been incredibly blessed to be the last of Bill and Ann's three children!   Happy Father's Day Dad!   Love, Monty



No comments: