Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Clear Perspective

Recently I've been reflecting, journaling and thinking about life.  Specifically about God's providence and blessing in my life both personally and as a minister.  Perspective is an amazing equalizer.  When we lose it we fail to see God's provision, intervention, blessings and action in our lives.  Our perspective gets skewed and we inevitably begin to think selfishly, or negatively.  Loss of perspective can create envy, jealousy, anger and resentment.  You begin to think that your owed something instead of thinking that you've been created to give.

Perspective allows us to see ALL God is doing in our life, but more importantly to look back at ALL He has done for us.  Things like health, family, joy, friends, meaningful work, creation and lifestyle suddenly become deeply satisfying like a well in the middle of a dry desert.  Far too long in ministry I measured everything by how I felt.  Criticism, complaints, doubts, problems, and questions quickly become magnified and hang on us like a cloud.  The cloud casts a shadow on all God is doing and has done in your life.  When we lose the perspective of gratitude and base our worldview strictly on emotion (how we feel at the moment...) we can't see beyond ourselves.  Emotions aren't bad.  In fact they are God given.  However, they can betray us in a heartbeat.  Why?  Emotions are rooted in our flesh.  And biblically, flesh is nearly always about self:
For all that is in the world-the desire of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life--is not from the Father but is from the world. (1 John 2:16)
For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is in my flesh.  For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.  For all that is in the world-the desires of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and pride of life-is not from the Father but is from the world. (Romans 7:18)
When I'm in the flesh I tend to react.  When I'm focused on God, I act with wisdom and intentionality.  I'm not saying we don't have "doubting" or "down" days.  I can't speak for anyone else.  But for me, when my perspective is healthy and God-centered, I see my problems, doubts and challenges through God's lens instead of my flawed eyes.   I am more grateful for all I have.  And I'm hopeful for what can be.  My compassion meter rises and I look beyond myself and see the hurting, wounded and weary as people in desperate need of a Savior.  You get out of yourself when you see through God's lens.

A friend of mine is like an emotional roller coaster.  Constant high's and lows.  Life is only good when this person "feels" great.  Everything is measured by emotion and personal satisfaction rooted in circumstance and things.  However, when she feels down, life is awful.  I have a hunch its really awful for their family and loved ones when the roller coaster of life is going down.  I don't want to be like that.  I want to praise God in the storm.  I want to drink deep from His promises and know that these moments on earth really are fleeting.  I want to remember the BIG picture that EVERY day is a gift and it's up to us what we do with it.  Are we gonna suck on lemons, or make lemonade?

God gives us the choice.  We get to choose our perspective and we are responsible for it!  I choose joy. Not the syrupy, nauseating sweet kind that denies reality, but the kind that finds a smile even when chemo is being poured into your port.  The kind that can lose a loved one, but finds a way to keep going to honor that loved one and God.  A joy that in the face of pending doom and death can say with deep conviction and hope:  "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done."

Yes, I want to drink deep from that cup.  God help me despite all of my flaws, imperfections, and failures to have the courage to live that way!


No comments: