Monday, June 23, 2014

Angels Around Us!

There is a verse in the New Testament that has always fascinated me.  Ok, so there are hundreds of verses that fascinate me, but this one always makes me stop and consider how I  treat people that I don't know.  It's  Hebrews 13:2---

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. (ESV)

Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! (NLT)

Imagine mistreating an angel of God through our speech, attitude, and actions?  Of course if we knew in advance that we were going to meet an an angel most of us would probably change our behavior, speech, attention, etc., upon meeting them.  But that's the whole point!  As Christ-followers we should treat EVERYONE we encounter with respect, kindness, gentleness and humility.  But we don't, do we?

Sometimes we are short or curt with people we meet whether intended, or not.  Others we hardly see because we are in a such a hurry with our self-consumed agendas that we move right past them.  Some people don't look, or act like "our kind" of people so we cross the street, or get out of the store quickly to avoid them.

But Scripture doesn't give us a pass on treating people differently because of their skin color, accent, sexual orientation, beliefs, background, marital status, gender, how they are dressed, or income level.  Our default is supposed to be kindness and love.  Paul calls us to give preference toward others.  In other words, we are to serve.  In fact when you consider the broader context of the Hebrews 13 passage you realize that being a Christ-follower means we owe a debt of love to others:

Let brotherly love continue.  Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.  Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.  (Heb. 13:1-3)

In Jesus parable of judgment in Matthew 25:35-40 we are reminded that whenever we help the broken and wounded we are caring for Jesus:

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcome me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.....Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." (Matthew 25:35-36, 40)

So the next time you are asked to help a stranger in need, or see someone in trouble think twice before walking away, or turning your back because you might have the opportunity to serve an angel, or the very Son of God!

No comments: