Monday, July 14, 2014

Be Prepared, Be Ready

On a recent trip to Kentuckiana (Tri-state area along the Ohio River) I was able to get in some evening fishing.  I was flipping a jig in weed-laden waters and on the third cast a jumbo largemouth bass chomped on the lure.  He was about 4-5lbs., and a beauty.  As usual I released him to live to fight another day.  The small lake is behind a buddy's home and I was just playing around not expecting too much.  Right after I caught him I caught another healthy sized, but smaller bass.  Two in less than an hour!

Fishing can be feast or famine.  I can't recall the number of times we've loaded the boat, mapped out our route on a big lake and come up empty-handed after 4-6 hours.  Other times we've hit the mother load.  You can't control the response of fish.  You can create presentations and settings that make the conditions more favorable to catch fish, but unless you have dynamite you can't make the fish bite your lure.  Sometimes it's the type, or color of your lure, the pressure, temperature or color of the water.  We've had days when we slay'd fish in the pouring rain and days when the only thing we caught were a good soaking.  Again, fish determine their response and do what they do when they want.

Life is a lot like fishing.  Some days you bring in a haul of unexpected encouraging moments and other days seem to bring one challenge after another.  The key in fishing and in life is being ready.  You have to be ready to take what comes, the good and the bad.  The key is how we respond.  If I invest a half day in fishing on the lake and come up empty-handed am I going to be angry, disappointed, or frustrated?  Or, will I celebrate the fact that I got to fish with my son, or a friend?

Remember the story in the Luke's gospel when Jesus calls the first disciples?  They had been fishing all night without any success.  Jesus tells them to cast their nets to the other side.  Despite Simon Peter's protest they fish the other side and their boat is overwhelmed with a record haul of fish.   And the text says they immediately dropped their nets and followed Jesus.  Peter learned a valuable lesson that day.  Fishing with Jesus is better than fishing alone.  Life with Jesus is better than life without Him.

Life with Jesus doesn't mean less surprises, disappointments, or challenging times.  A good case could be made that they will actually increase when we follow Him.  However, life with Jesus means our response to whatever happens is more balanced.  We learn to accept what life brings and because we are prepared like a master fisherman we aren't blown away by every surprise, good or bad.

As I've aged I have come to realize that every time I get to fish it's a privilege.  It is an act of pleasure that I "get to do," instead of something I "have to do."  Regardless of the outcome (empty live-well, or a record haul of fish) I enjoy it.  Sure I have disappointing days when I miss a big fish, but I remind myself I'm fishing.  I come prepared and I am always ready to catch fish.  Maybe we need to remind ourselves more often that we "get to" live with purpose.  We can choose to respond with gratitude, or confidence because we are prepared for the journey in Christ.  So don't give up, keep trying and "cast your nets to the other side."

P.S. If you throw back always take pictures so you can validate your "fish" story!

No comments: