Friday, June 30, 2006

Old Glory


While I realize there is a flag anti-desecration amendment being tossed around Congress, this post has nothing to do with that, so in your comments please go easy on the often sensitive and emotionally charged discussions about flag burning, desecration, etc. This is simply the experience of a single citizen who is more importantly, a citizen of a much bigger Kingdom.

I put my hanging-banner styled US flag out today in honor of the approaching July 4th holiday. Every time I attach the flag to the flag pole I have flashbacks and memories of experiences I have had with the flag. There are too many for this blog, but here are a few that are unique to me:

  • I remember in the mid 90's when I was in the Boston area serving on a church mission team with a dear friend and colleague in ministry over the July 4th holiday. Both of us love to write, read and passionately discuss life, faith, politics, economics and the culture. As we watched a local July 4th parade in a quaint and picturesque coastal town outside Boston, I remember the smells, and ambiance complete with firetrucks, kids with ice cream, the American Legion and VFW members marching by. Everyone was waving flags. During the fireworks over the harbor a very large town flag was waving in the wind as colorful explosions and displays painted the sky. My friend turned to me to comment on how uniquely American this was and it was obvious that both of us were humbled by the moment and filled with a profound appreciation for what those stars and stripes represented. We didn't have to speak, the moment reminded both of us just how special, unique and what a privilege it is to be born in the country that bears those colors.
  • While traveling in Europe and South America on different occasions, I remember the powerful emotions that were stirred when I saw that flag waving at U.S. Embassies or facilities on foreign soil. I can recall returning to the U.S. and walking through Customs being overwhelmed with profound gratitude to enter the line marked "U.S. Citizens," and seeing the flag as we entered. Its symbolic silence served as a grand reminder that I was privileged and blessed to be born in a free country and that with those freedoms come responsibilities. The same can be said of every Christ follower (regardless of their country of origin) who has experienced the grace of God. Because of grace, we have a responsibility while living in His Kingdom.
  • Around the same period we took our family out west to visit a sister and her husband who were stationed in San Diego. Both were active Navy Chief's at the time. I remember boarding his cruiser which was in port, as two sailors were raising the flag in the shipyard among all those gray Navy ships. As the flag went up, I bowed my head in appreciation for the many, many sailors, airmen, marines and soldiers who lost their lives in times long gone to preserve, insure and protect the very rights, and privileges that flag represents.
  • Among my first funerals as a pastor was one for an active Army Colonel with full military honors. The intentional crispness and simultaneous gentle care with which the coffin flag was folded and put in the hands of the widow, as the soldier said, "On behalf of a grateful nation," can still be heard in my memory bank.
  • Memories of adult and childhood travels to Independence Hall, Boston, and the many historic sights in our nation's capital recall flags prominently flying or displayed incased to preserve the history, memory and cause for which they stood.
  • The flag that is folded and incased with various medals of honor and achievement from my sister-in-law's career retirement from the Navy hangs on a wall in her house. There's not a time I do not see it that I am overwhelmed with gratitude for her service, the service of other family members, friends and more importantly, people I have and will never know who put their lives on the line for you and me.
  • An enormous, I mean huge flag, that a friend, veteran and retired auto dealer flew over his dealership (his son still does) blew in the Florida breeze during my daily commute and served as reminder of the freedoms afforded those who call Old Glory their flag. Thanks Cecil!

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. One last picture is one I wish we could see more of today. Our deeply politically polarized country needs it. It occured soon after 911. Members of the Senate and House gathered on the Capitol's steps, flanked by the flag, serendipitously broke out in song and sang "God Bless America". On that day there were no, conservatives, liberals, southerners, Yankees, Democrats or, Republicans, African, Asian or Hispanic Americans, just simply Americans who stood united in freedom. Prayer, honest and principled leaders, and the charitable hand of God are the only things that will make that a reality again. Perhaps every new member of Congress (and especially some of our career politicians) ought to have to visit many of the historic flag bearing places in Washington D.C., and as they stand before those flags, reflect and contemplate on the freedoms, rights, responsibilities and privileges those flags represent. Perhaps we all should!

I don't worship my country or the flag. I worship God. I am also fully aware that America wasn't even on the radar when Christ walked the earth and we do not have exclusive rights to God's blessings. But that does not lessen my love, respect and loyalty to my country. If anything, it only strengthens it. It humbles me. So, if you've got a flag somewhere, fly it this week, and if you don't, go buy one and fly it. Leave the political interpretations or commentary of what you are doing to the pundits and naysayers on both sides. Let's just fly our flags and celebrate America!

No comments: