Saturday, August 18, 2007

Lessons Learned 200+ Miles at Sea

1. Having zero cell phone capability is probably the most therapeutic thing you can do. I plan to seriously fast from mine once a week from now on. Ran into a guy on the cruise who paid his cell phone provider in Philadelphia to get international-unlimited coverage on his cell phone while on the ship. Overheard him talking work stuff and never saw him without that thing attached to his ear. Kind of defeats the purpose of "getting away" doesn't it?
2. While I had email capability, I refused to pay the ridiculous incremental Internet access rates charged aboard ship. Plus, I made the choice NOT to carry my laptop on board so if I was tempted I'd have to physically go to the appropriate deck and use one of their computers. I hated the 120 messages of pure junk I had to go through upon my return to land, but it was so nice to be unplugged. Makes me continue to worry and be embarrassed at how co-dependent most Americans are on technology. Me included.

3. Everyone ought to do something they've never done before at least once. Like mountain climbing, or kayaking. We had never taken a cruise. Our son's college graduation in Florida coincided with our cruise, so it was perfect timing and a rare chance for the four of us to be alone. Yes, we will do it again.

4. I eat too much. Americans eat too much. The food we waste is outrageous. Yes, the meals were scrumptous, but the amount of food that went to waste is mind-blowing.

5. Considerable time alone with family without all the distractions and daily noise in life is absolutely priceless. Thank you God for that gift.

6. If I have to choose between Freeport and Nassau, it's a no-brainer. Nothing personal to the folks in Freeport, but I'll be near the Straw Market and Senor' Frogs, or Hard Rock in Nassau. And while the ship coffee was okay, three days without Starbucks made the one in Nassau the perfect first stop off the ship!

7. If Christ-followers served non-Christians the way cruise line crews serve passengers our churches would be filled. Heck, if Christ-followers would just serve each other with the amount of respect, attention to detail and thoughtfulness of the crew it would cause a revolution.

8. The onboard library was great, but it doesn't come close to grabbing a great book and enjoying the sunshine and the open sea from a deck chair.

9. We had calm seas, but how in the world did Noah do it for 40 days without Dramamine or Bonine?

10. Bottled water is the way to go, but it sure loads down your suitcase, ha!






No comments: