Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Happy Golden Anniversary SHBC! - My 1st Church

I’ve been invited to speak at the 50th anniversary celebration of my first church. I’m really looking forward to the fall weekend in my native Kentucky. Lexington is beautiful this time of year if it’s not raining.

Southern Heights Baptist Church in Lexington, KY, took a chance on a young, green, zealous seminary student in 1991. Tenured saints loved, nurtured, admonished and encouraged me in my formative days of pastoral ministry. I owe these precious people a debt I cannot repay. They made an investment in my family and my ministry. They patiently endured my very average preaching and teaching. They taught me more about pastoral ministry and doing “life together” than they will ever realize. They loved my wife who had never served in the critical and all too often lonely role as a pastor’s partner in ministry. They loved my kids and poured the love of God and His Word into them.

Each church where I’ve served on the pastoral staff is still precious to me. You invest so much in the churches where you minister and you leave a piece of yourself with each. That’s a good thing because it means we invest our lives in them instead of treating them as a “9 to 5” job. Yes, every church where a minister serves has its own set of challenges and conflict, but each place of service has brought us far more joy and growth than disappointment or pain.

For 50 years this congregation (“the little church on the hill”) in the heart of Lexington has loved people through fellowship, worship and missions. They have weathered their share of conflict, heartache, joy, challenge, and kept the faith. They have always had a heart for ministry and missions.

I’m a better person, Christ-follower and pastor because of their patience, prayers and nurture. They are poised for great things under the leadership of their current pastor, Dr. Terry Leap. Thanks to the sinners and saints (many who’ve gone on to heaven) of SHBC for their faithfulness, correction, growth, encouragement, support and prayers over the years. We are grateful to God for you. Happy Anniversary and may the blessings of God be yours!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monty, Thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words about our little church! We really are blessed to be celebrating God's Faithfulness to us for 50 years as a local body! I am very much looking forward to spending time with both you and your wife on Sunday and hearing you deliver the Word of God to our people!

Just one minor correction though... Though I am flattered by the title, I am not "Dr." YET. I am indeed in the PhD program at Southern, but have to take my final comprehensive exams in December and then construct my dissertation! I'll talk to you more about it this weekend, but I wouldn't want anyone to think I was getting the cart before the horse and calling myself "Dr." before my time! :-)

Soon-to-be-Doctor Terry Leap

David Head said...

Hey -- when do you guys get here? That's cool... We'll be right down the road at Rosemont!!