Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Problem of Presumption in The Racial Dialogue

Let's get this out right now. Racism is alive and well in the United States. For those who deny it just ask any person of color. It appears on many levels, some blatant and some not so obvious. It did not end when President Obama was sworn into the highest office in our land. While our country has made great strides in racial differences we still have a long way to go. Stay with me this probably isn't going to go where it may seem. For those of us who choose to follow Christ racism is wrong and forbidden by our life book, the Bible. When a self-professing Christ-follower attempts to justify, dismiss, rationalize, or compartmentalize racism we are ignoring the authority of the Word of God and that is sin.

Trying to encourage open dialogue on race and gender differences a seminary professor of mine used to say, "We all have biases, presuppositions and prejudices, it's to what degree." His point was that we all have them and the first step is to acknowledge them. Here's an example. As a white, middle-aged American male, I must admit that "avoidance" is the first thought that enters my mind when I see a tinted and tricked out car full of young Hispanics, or African American teens with loud music. Busted! My presupposition is wrong. Without personally knowing any of the teens, I immediately jump to doubt and skepticism. My court of opinion condemns them to a juvenile detention center without any evidence. That's wrong. Oh I suppose I could rationalize my thoughts by pointing out that I have friends of color who have said they have the same reaction in similar circumstances, but that takes the responsibility off me. I might even add that I have the same reaction if the teens in the car are white, but the fact remains that I come to the situation with unfounded presuppositions. We all do. Why is that so hard to admit?

What do you suppose the reaction would be if we asked Rev. Al Sharpton to speak to an all white, congregation in the deep South on Sunday? Let's be fair. What do you suppose the reaction would be if Congressman Joe Wilson of SC was invited to speak at an African American church in Harlem, NY? Our answers would be purely subjective and speculative.

One of the biggest problems with discussions about race is our tendency to read more into comments people make without knowing them personally. Equally wrong is when we pretend to know or judge someones motives. Syndicated columnist Maureen Dowd seems to have done just that with SC Republican Congressman, Joe Wilson, suggesting that what the Congressman intended to say when he yelled out "You lie," during the President's address to a joint session of Congress last week was "You lie, boy." You can read Dowd's commentary for yourself here. Perhaps I've misread her point.

Maureen Dowd makes me think. I don't always agree with her, but her writing makes me think critically. I think that's a good thing. However, she has crossed the line and moved from analysis to presumption. I don't know Congressman Wilson. His comments were rude, out of place, and lacked civil decorum and I told him as much in an email to his congressional office within minutes of the joint session. He apologized to the President for his outburst and the President accepted his apology. The House of Representatives felt that was not enough and voted to rebuke Wilson largely along party lines. However, let's be clear, the Congressman did not say "You lie boy." Dowd has presumed to know the Congressman's heart and exactly what he was thinking when he opened his mouth and inserted his foot. Her critique is equally as dangerous because it presumes to state something that only Congressman Wilson knows for sure and that is the motives behind his outburst.

Equally disturbing are the recent comments by former President Carter who stated that he also believes racism was behind Wilson's comments. Read his comments here. I respect his opinion, and am well aware of his efforts to bridge the racial divide, but I must disagree with him. Unless, President Carter knows Congressman Wilson personally and knows him to be a racist, his opinion is equally inflammatory and presumptuous. President Carter has reminded all of us that race is still an issue we need to discuss and address. He is right. However, his remarks would have been better served in a face to face meeting with the Congressman instead of a headline-grabbing comment in a public forum with the media in attendance. Public arm-chair quarterbacking on serious issues like race is dangerous. It's dangerous because opposite sides can't sit down and look each other in the eye. It's a one-sided argument because both sides aren't sitting at the table of discussion and debate. When that happens we attempt to speak for someone else without giving them the opportunity to do so.

Ms. Dowd and the former president appear to know Congressman Wilson very well. But someone who knows the Congressman better than any of us, his son, strongly disagrees with their opinion and assessment. His comments are based on a personal and intimate relationship with the Congressman for many years. It's been said that you don't know a person until you live with them. It would seem the adult son's card of experience trumps the opinions of a former president and noted journalist. See the son's comments here.

Dowd, Wilson and the former president aside, my point is that we must have an ongoing dialogue in our country about racial differences. We must be open and honest about our struggles or concerns with race. Conjecture, opinion and judgmental assesments is no substitute for truth. And truth cannot be discerned until we talk to each other and get to know each other. There's nothing wrong with opinions, but when they replace fact based on experience they can become lightning rods to start fires that will never be extinguished.

Years ago while in seminary I had the opportunity to travel much of the Holy Land with a very diverse group of theological students, community and business leaders from the U.S. One thing I couldn't help but notice was how very "white" I was in the land where Jesus walked and taught. I stood out. I began to see Jesus differently. His words and actions took on a whole new meaning to me. While I knew Jesus was a dark-skinned, Palestinian born, Jew, I could not fully appreciate it until I walked where He walked. Racially I was an outsider. Racially I was in the minority. Racially I stood out among the many beautiful people I met. I'll never forget the hospitality shown to us near Mt. Horeb (Sinai) by a Bedouin, Palestinian family. These people of a different religion and race insisted that we come inside their little home for dandelion tea! They served all 25+ of us on that dirt floor. They showed hospitality to total strangers. It struck me how very much like Jesus they were acting to people who talked and looked very different from them. It was very humbling. They simply chose to focus on the needs of another human being, not color, language or ethnic background. How very Jesus (Luke 10:25ff)!

Maybe it's time the world (let's start with Congress) sat down for some dandelion tea.

No comments: