Friday, July 02, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

I've been fortunate enough to travel overseas a few times. I've left America's borders to study abroad, vacation and serve on mission teams. I know it's not possible, but every American needs to go overseas and experience a foreign culture to appreciate the freedoms we enjoy in America.

While I enjoy traveling and exploring other cultures one thing remains constant. Every time I return to America, I am humbled and overwhelmed. Despite her flaws, America is still an amazing country. I really do love my homeland. I am in awe of how God has blessed this great nation, but with great blessing comes great responsibility and we must always remember God's blessing and express our gratitude by continuing to bless other nations.

There's not a week that goes by that I don't see a veteran's license plate (Purple Heart, DAV, etc.), or run into a veteran wearing their ship's hat, or sporting a tat of their unit, etc. Every time I am reminded that the freedoms we enjoy have come at a great price. So many men and women have given their lives to preserve the freedoms we enjoy as a nation. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for their service and sacrifice.

As we celebrate July 4th and the vision of our founding fathers may God bless America so that we may bring Him glory and be a blessing to our world.

No comments: