Thursday, August 26, 2010

In Need of Rescue

Imagine being trapped 2,300 ft. below ground for 18, 30, 60 even 90 days! By now you've heard the story of the 33 Chilean miners who were trapped August 5th, when their San Jose copper mine collapsed in Copiapo, Chile. Since then they have been receiving food, water, vitamins, medicine and other supplies through a narrow emergency supply line. Yesterday they were told that they may be confined to their "safe room" until Christmas! Chilean Health Minister Jaime Manalich told the AFP news agency:

"We expect that after the initial euphoria of being found, we will likely see a period of depression and anguish," Manalich said. "We are preparing medication for them. It would be naive to think they can keep their spirits up like this."

The government has asked NASA and Chile's submarine fleet for tips on survival in extreme, confined conditions, and are looking to send them space mission-like rations.

"We hope to define a secure area where they can establish various places — one for resting and sleeping, one for diversion, one for food, another for work," Manalich said.

Chilean officials have consulted NASA and Chile's submarine fleet for survival advice in extreme, isolated conditions. The miners have each lost about 22 lbs., but they are being challenged to develop a routine that will keep them focused and insure their sanity. Music, playing cards, writing materials and clothes have all been passed down the emergency line. They are even working out a way to record video messages to and from their family members. Meanwhile, they simply await rescue. I can't imagine their state of mind, attitude, or feelings at this point, let alone by November.

We all need to be rescued. At some point every Christ-follower realized that God has provided a way out of the darkness of sin through Jesus. It took longer for some of us than others, but make no mistake about it, rescue came. Sometimes I think we forget that there are still people all around us who need rescue. We can also forget what it's like to be in that desperate period of darkness and loneliness. I love the a song we sing in our worship entitled, "Rescue":
I need You Jesus to come to my rescue
Where else can I go?
There's no other Name by which I am saved
Capture me with grace

I will follow You


Verse 1
You are the source of life And I can't be left behind
No one else will do

And I will take hold of You


Verse 2
My heart is Yours for life
I need Your hand in mine
No one else will do
I put my trust in You

© 2003 Vertical Worship Songs (Admin. by Integrity Music, Inc.)
by Jared Anderson


Holy God,
Grant rescue for those trapped miners. Thank you for rescuing each of us.
Help us to share Christ with those who are in desperate need of rescue.
Show us how to heal their wounds, clothe, feed, counsel, listen, and
touch them with the hands and feet of Jesus. We are Your hands and feet,
but only You can rescue the perishing. Amen.

No comments: