Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Grateful for the Pressure

Not to be gross, but I never thought I would be grateful for bladder and trans-rectal biopsy procedures! You can add in renal and kidney ultrasounds along with CT scans, CT guided needle biopsies and even cystoscopes! No I'm not a glutton for punishment, or uncomfortable medical procedures, but I am grateful for these diagnostic resources and tools. This Friday I will experience two of the least desirable of these procedures. Having experienced these procedures before I now know what to expect. And that is not necessarily a good thing, lol!

"Pressure" is a word that doctors love to use when they are describing what is otherwise "painful" to the rest of us. If it's not happening to you personally it's called "pressure". Kind of like when they describe the "pressure" of childbirth. Who are they kidding? Even the Bible refers to the "pain" of childbirth, not pressure! The other frequent phrase used by medical professionals to camoflouge pain is "slight discomfort". Discomfort is stubbing your toe, cutting a toenail too short, or water in your ears after swimming. Pain is usually involved when something sharp invades the body for the purpose of cutting out a small sample to put under a microscope.

Seriously, when compared to bone marrow harvesting, joint replacement surgery, neuro/spinal procedures, and repeated courses of chemo, my tests on Friday are uncomfortable as opposed to painful. This isn't my first medical dance so I know what to expect and I know I have a choice. I can choose to worry about the upcoming procedure, or I can choose to be grateful for the technology and advancements in medical science that eliminate words like, "guessing," and "exploratory". A short stroll through any cancer center where senior adults, or children are being treated should wake us up from the self-pity associated with diagnostic tests and procedures. Or visit Walter Reed/Bethesda military hospitals to see some real heroes who are battling serious pain. In comparison my tests really aren't a big deal.

Today, I am grateful for the ingenuity, wisdom, and technology invested in these tests, instruments, and devices as well as the men and women of science who discovered them. They are tools, tests and resources intended for good, not harm. I am grateful for the skill, knowledge and expertise God has given my doctor and those who will assist him. Thank you God for each of these upcoming procedures! May they ultimately be used to bring glory to Your great name!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you're having to endure this, Monty. Praying for you.

Kathy