Thursday, July 14, 2011

Old Friends

This is my friend Riley. This picture was taken a couple of years ago as she was about to "pie" one of our VBS leaders.

I'm not related to Riley, although she is my spiritual daughter and sister in Christ. I had the privilege of dedicating her when she was a baby and baptizing her last summer. When I baptized her I was a blobbering mess of joyful tears. I've watched this child grow up and been fortunate to play a small role in her faith development and growth. Riley was the only steady preschooler in our children's ministry during Mosaic's early years.

I can't explain it, but I have an incredible bond with this child. I don't have grandchildren and our children are all grown up. Last Sunday was the first time I had seen Riley since they found the new tumor at Wake Forest University Medical Center. It's really hard to explain just how much her hug meant to me. She ran up to me before worship and as we hugged the tears began to flow and I couldn't stop them. I tried but I couldn't stop.

We talked like two old friends who are trying to catch up in a half hour phone call but don't have enough time! As she talked about her summer, the new puppy and swimming pool, I couldn't help but think to myself, "Lord, thank you for this blessing today. You knew I needed a hug from Riley and it was the perfect medicine to follow a tough day of medical prodding, poking and testing. Her smile and hug were like water in the desert to a parched soul. Thank you God for this incredibly precious gift that probably would have gone unnoticed without the reminder that every day from you is ALL gift!"

Outside of your family is there a child, teenager, or senior adult with whom you share inexplicable sheer joy? If not, find one. Ask God to provide and He will. I'm under no illusion, I get far more out of my relationship with these kids (so many now and over the years of pastoral ministry) than they ever receive from me. I'm indebted to their families and God for allowing me to be a small part of their lives and for letting me be this close to heaven's treasures.

Thank you Lord for big gifts in small packages over the years that have brought me great joy. As they grow (and many are beyond teenage years now) remind them that no one loves them like you, not even their parents and family. Keep them from harm. Show them your purpose for their lives and heal their hurts and wounds with grace. May their lives make much of You. Drench their families in grace and the strength of your Word for the sake of your glory and great Name!


Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. -Prov. 22:6

I can't imagine the joy grandchildren bring although I'm gaining some idea the older I get!

No comments: