Monday, August 08, 2011

Word Power

Look closely at the picture to your left. You will never see this green "Partner" apron at your local Starbucks. There's not another one like it in the world. Several of the managers, assistant's and partners at the Greenville area Starbucks' signed it with well wishes for my upcoming cancer treatment.

While I frequent one particular Starbucks, over the years I have enjoyed coffee and conversation at every store in our city based on my travel route, or schedule on a particular day. A big thank you to Chris, the DM who got this together for me! I wouldn't take anything for this apron but not because of its corporate logo. You see I cherish the prayers, well wishes and words of support and their accompanying signatures even more.

Words are powerful. They can injure, tear down, build up, encourage, help, heal or hurt. We use thousands of words in the course of a day and most of the time we forget a lot of what we say, or communicate to others. However, when you are on the receiving end of some complimentary, well-wishing, or encouraging words they tend to stick with you. Someone takes the time to touch your soul whether they realize it or not, we do. Since I entered my first Starbucks 20+ years ago in Chicago, I can never remember a time when I wasn't greeted with a smile, or a word of welcome! And trust me that's a lot of Starbucks from San Diego to Phoenix;Louisville; Cincinatti; Hilton Head; Jacksonville;Orlando; Indy; Gaffney; the Bahamas (for real!); London, Kentucky and many more. Oh sure I've come across some who've had a tough day, but somehow they manage to rise above it and offer some kind of greeting. Someone has set the tone for this intentional corporate culture and the church needs to follow.

Our words take on meaning to others, which is why I shudder when I think of the thousands of words I've carelessly spoken over the years. Words of judgment, criticism or cynicism that I regret. But positive words are something we never regret. We need to be more intentional about the words we use with others. Speaking joy-filled, empowering, or encouraging words to one another is something we need to cultivate and practice. Anyone can speak words of anger, destruction, and judgment. They require little thought and usually come at an impulse. However, we have to make a conscious effort to speak positively toward others. In other words (no pun intended) we have to think intentionally about speaking positively to others. Given the level of anger, frustration, depression and skepticism in our culture I think we are desperate for the words like the ones on my Starbucks apron!

Who do you need to encourage? Who can you lift up, lighten their load and heal with words of comfort? How many times a day do our words cut, belittle, or put others down? We never fully know what people are facing or dealing with when we go about our day. Some are carrying very heavy loads like divorce, aging parents, finances, a strained relationship, job conflict/stress, health challenges, or an angry neighbor. What if we made a conscious effort to offer strong, helpful words even when we are tempted to do otherwise? It just might change our world, or at least our corner. I am going to work harder at encouraging others and a local cancer center is a great place to start!

James reminded us the power of words in James 3:5-10 {emphasis added}:
5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

Thank you to the Partners that staff Greenville's Starbucks! You put up with a challenging public as you provide the fuel for our addiction. A special thanks to Jenn and the Augusta Street store crew, you make me laugh and always lighten my load. And that is quite a gift.



No comments: