Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Turning 50

Next week, Thanksgiving week, I will turn 50 years old! Hard to believe that my life is more than half over. Yeah, I'm not expecting to live to be 100 and that's okay. At near 50 I've discovered some technical challenges of my age. BTW I like my age. Since "I" am the one turning 50 most of these thoughts begin with that personal pronoun "I" try to avoid using too much. Here's my age-technology challenges:

  1. My children can text faster than I can type on a keyboard or talk.
  2. I am not nearly as multi-task oriented as I think I am. Most 12-year olds have me beat.
  3. Video posts to this blog from You Tube can be risky cause I don't know how to keep it from going to You Tube's home page after the video, which at times has questionable content. Oh yeah, I asked a late 20-something how to change the setting to restrict that content and she had no idea so I don't feel so old. If you do let me know!
  4. Why would anyone think their daily life is worth Tweeting? Really, it's that important?
  5. Why would anyone think someone else's Tweets are worth reading? Lady Gaga has over 15 million Twitter followers per Google. Are you kidding me?
  6. I have never been on Face Book and have no idea how to do it, but I sure got a lot of invites to be somebody's friend. It's nothing personal, but all my invites to FB go into my SPAM folder.
  7. I had a "Linked In" account years ago, before it was cool, now I'm ready to take mine down cause I can't keep up with all the solicitations to be someone's contact, or add them to my list. Plus, just because you know, or are linked to someone on my list doesn't mean I want to be to linked to you. Nothing personal BTW.
  8. I am grateful to God that my kids are adults cause I'm not sure I could handle the technical wave of the next generation and 6-year old's with working cell phones.
  9. I have actually mastered hands-free calling and the BlueTooth system in both of our cars! Yes, it's much safer than holding a cell phone in your hand while driving.
  10. I long for the days before cell phones. Oh how I miss the days when the person being right in front of you was the most important at the moment and not a beep, ringtone, etc., of an email, text, or voice-mail message to interrupt. I'm really debating going back to a beeper!
Okay there's a ton more of these, but my aged MacBook is dying out and I don't have a slick Iphone 4, or Ipad 2 to finish this post. Have a great week. Live strong!

No comments: