Monday, November 28, 2011

Old Friends

This is my friend Carl. He's the guy on the right! We have been friends since the first week of class during our freshman year at Butler University! Yes, 32+ years!

Carl was in our wedding and I was in his. We have watched our children grow up, walked together through career changes, health concerns as well as challenging and joyful family times. As they say in Jersey, "We know where the bodies are buried." LOL!

Carl surprised me on my 50th birthday. We were at the beach and he flew in for business in Charlotte and then drove to the beach to surprise me! I was blown away and his unexpected presence at the front door that night at 10 p.m. reminded me just how special and valuable the bond can be between old friends. I was humbled by his presence and lengths to which he had gone just to be with me. I will never forget it. I only hope I can be as creative for his 50th next spring. We played golf, ate out and told lots of stories that get bigger and better every time we tell them. It was a very special birthday surrounded by family and my old friend. Thanks be to God for the small gifts of friendship and family that we often take for granted. Every day is a gift and these were indeed some good days.

No comments: