Thursday, September 20, 2012

Yes, Word of God Speak!

Let me say straight up that this is not an appeal for sympathy, help, or support!  Actually, I hope it helps and encourages others.  Since 2009 our immediate family has experienced the following:

  • An unusual/rare pelvic tumor followed by re-section surgery with countless biopsies and procedures before and after
  • Diagnosis of an auto-immune disease-Crohn's
  • Divorce 
  • Shoulder surgery
  • Suicide of a sibling
  • A wreck caused by someone else that totaled our child's car
  • Cancer and euthanasia of a beloved adopted dog
  • A second pelvic tumor with even more biopsies and procedures that led to a diagnosis of:
  • A child's wedding
  • Cancer (NHL Large diffuse B-cell, stage 2) 
  • Chemo and radiation
  • Migraines
  • Ongoing radiation side effects
  • Pregnant daughter-in-law hospitalized when car was totaled 
  • Ongoing monitoring of a kidney (more tests, etc.)
  • Several months of retirement investment lost (at 50 important!)
  • Second adopted dog diagnosed with cancer
  • New car hit from behind requiring body work
My name is not Eeyore, or Murphy!  Remember Eeyore, the lovable, but melancholy donkey in Winnie the Pooh who always had a cloud of negativity following him?  And of course Murphy from Murphy's Law (if anything can go wrong it will).   I haven't even included the normal life junk and challenges we all face with schedules, income and home budgeting, work, home upkeep, etc.  Perhaps you can relate.  Even good stuff like a wedding, a move, or the birth of a child can be stressful.  This challenging three-year stretch really has me thanking God for the years of relatively smooth seas we have previously enjoyed by comparison.

I'm proud to say that God has gotten/will get us through (not around) all of this!  I believe it.  But I also know that just because I profess confidence in God's providence/care that doesn't mean I don't ever doubt, struggle, question, hurt, grieve, ache, and mourn over these and other life events.  We are not strong enough to carry this alone and survive.  I admire those who are that self-sufficient and strong, but I'm not.  

We know deep within that we are weak, imperfect, flawed and incapable of handling this alone.  Hence, the rub.  We tend to forget that in the middle of these life storms.  I did just this week.  I reacted in flesh and forgot this isn't something I can fix/change.  I forgot the most important thing---that the Word of God can speak to every single need, situation, or pain we have.  I ask your forgiveness and God's for trying to "go it alone" and forgetting the power of His Word earlier this week when I was looking at all this in the flesh.  Mercy Me's "Word of God Speak" is something I need to lean into.  Maybe you do too:


Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say
I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice
(ENDING)
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
by Bart Millard and Pete Kipley © 2002 Simpleville Music (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)

No comments: