Friday, February 22, 2013

The Soul of Discontent

The discontented soul is always restless.  It cannot settle, relax, or unwind because it hasn't figured out that peace has nothing to do with what's happening at the moment.  The discontented soul finds fulfillment is always dependent upon present circumstance.  As long as things are going her way this soul is happy.  There's your first clue that something is wrong.

Contentment is not about being "happy".  It contributes to happiness, but it is not based on how we feel.  The discontented soul tries to find happiness through: the acquisition of more stuff/toys; job position/title; personal accomplishments like running a 5K or getting in the "who's who" business page of the local paper; money; power; clothing, hairstyles and even control.  Vanity often accompanies the discontented soul and so does anger, or depression.  What's dangerous about chronic discontentment is that sooner or later there's never enough to bring that much needed and perceived "happiness".

I spent a great deal of my young adult years in periods of discontentment.  Pride and anger were the complimentary attributes of my discontent.  Things didn't go my way so I got angry.  And pride wouldn't let me slow down long enough to realize that contentment couldn't be earned, bought, or achieved.  It took me some time to realize contentment wasn't about what I had/didn't have, or about my stuff, titles, or the numbers that we use to determine success in the corporate and non-profit world.

But one day I realized that contentment is really about inner peace.  And peace can only come from God.  Sappy and predictable answer I know, but it's true.  It wasn't an aha revelatory moment for me, but rather something that came over time.  I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box so it took longer for me than most.  However, the more I walked by faith and true dependence on God, the more content I became.  Oh yes, there have been bouts of discontent along the way, but I've noticed that when I'm angry, depressed, upset, or disappointed about something (the trigger of discontent) it is always when I'm "me" focused.  Someone "hurt" me, someone "upset" me, someone didn't help "me".  And then I realize these are simply circumstances and many, not all, are beyond my control.  Not to mention that I have to accept responsibility for how I choose to respond to them.  I can't blame anyone, or anything else for my response.  We choose how we are going to respond to every moment in life.

See how exhausting this can be?  You are always blaming someone, or something else and you never get a break because life is ALL circumstance and if we don't figure out how to live with balance we will constantly be "responding to" instead of learning to "be".  The circumstance can be good/bad, but when we allow it to dictate the attitude of the heart we become reactionaries instead of people with purpose.

What's our purpose?  Is it happiness 24/7, 365?  If it is we are going to be very disappointed and empty because no one is happy 100% of the time.  Purpose is deeper than an emotion or feeling.  Purpose keeps us going despite how we are feeling at any given moment.  Solomon said, "Many are the plans in the mind of man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

The ancients of faith battled far more than you and me, but they were content.  They had peace despite their circumstance.  Are you discontent?  Here's a hint on where you might want to begin:


Thus says the Lord:
“Stand by the roads, and look,
    and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way is; and walk in it,
    and find rest for your souls. (Jeremiah 6:16a)

(photo of Black Mountain by Mike Jewell)

No comments: