Thursday, August 21, 2014

From Where I Sit

Everyone has an opinion on the situation in Ferguson, MO, following the police shooting that led to the death of teenager, Michael Brown.  The police officer involved was white and Brown was  African American.  The subsequent protests, riots, vandalism and looting that took place tells us the racial divide in America is farther apart than many of us had hoped.  Nut jobs and people who seem to chase these kind of events aside, we seem to be losing ground in race relations.   

While I have some thoughts on the subject this is not a commentary on race.  However, it is one on police officers.  Hopefully it's from a perspective the average citizen does not get to see.  Whenever I hear the words, "officer involved shooting," I tend to cringe because I know what's about to happen and it is the thing I fear most for everyone involved.  And that is the endless speculation that takes place in the media and public conversation before an investigation is ever completed.  Speculation is never good because it speaks before all the facts have been gathered and it can be damning to those closest to the situation.  

There is a reason police departments have endless policies, directives, orders and protocol.  While there are time I shake my chaplain's head at the level of it, I'm grateful for the process because it does not rely on, or embrace speculation and hearsay.  It is a process that deals strictly in facts and evidence.  It takes time to collect, gather and sort it all out.  People in Ferguson want "justice" yesterday, but they need to let the process work.  It's not going to be yesterday and believe me, if it's rushed you don't want any part of it.  Let the rule of law, evidence, and testimony be given the proper amount of time to work.  

Riots and protests are nearly always a spontaneous, emotional reaction to what has already happened.  It usually does not have a positive affect on the outcome.  If anything it usually adds to the chaos and and dissemination of misinformation.  If a life is lost, or someone is seriously injured (whether perpetrator/suspect, victim, police officers, etc.) doesn't it make more sense to make sure we take our time, let the process work and get it right the first time than it does to act on a hunch, or respond emotionally?  For Pete's sake these are lives, families and careers we are talking about.  

Police officers are easy targets.  Uniformed patrol officers/deputies are often caught in a "no-win" situation between the public, politicians, and the brass.  Their calling to serve and protect is hardly glamorous.  It has its rewards, but at times it can be brutal.  So often officers are despised, hated, or tolerated by the very people they serve!  And yes that cuts across all levels of income and education.  And while I have seen it first hand I still don't get it.  My generation and family were raised to respect those placed in positions of authority, even those with whom we disagreed.  It's called respect.  So when I hear people talk as if law enforcement's first response is to use force without discretion regardless of the circumstances, or who is involved, I realize the level of ignorance and uninformed opinion is rising in our country.  People forget that police officers are also fathers, sons, daughters, mothers, brothers, aunts, uncles, husbands and wives.  They aren't disconnected cyborgs acting without compassion.  

Yes, I will agree that there are bad doctors, pastors, teachers, lawyers, clerks and even police officers that have forgotten why they do what they do and behave in unethical ways.  But they are the exception, not the norm.  I can't speak to the situation in Missouri.  I don't have all the facts, or know enough to weigh in there.  However, it has been interesting to simply listen to people in conversations, social media and news media talking heads describe police officers with a broad brush as being too quick to use deadly force.  And that is the point with which I want to take issue from my personal experience with police officers.  

Two days ago I rode with one of our city's police officers.  We responded to a call where three other units were already on the scene.  The officers were met by a raging pit bull that was not connected to the original call/complaint.  As we approached the dog was lunging toward one of the officers.  Its ears were back, jaw extended and teeth fully showing as it moved forward with a biting and barking motion.  The hair on its back was standing straight up.  You didn't have to be a dog person to realize this was one raging pit bull.  Oh and did I mention that she was obviously nursing and trying to guard the puppies she had just delivered under the complainants house?  At one point the dog was moving back and forth between the five of us.  Each officer had his/her taser out and ready to nail the dog.  

I don't spook easily and I love dogs, but I was ready to haul my butt on the back of a Crown Vic cruiser!  And twice I thought I was going to have to jump on the back of that car.  The officers were patient and deliberate.  Each would've been within their rights to taser and neutralize the out of control, unleashed, and unconfined animal.  But they didn't!  They called Animal Control and patiently waited the dog out as they sought its owner.  What's one less mad pit bull?  Well it was someone's dog and it was protecting its pups.  I'm gonna be honest, I would've neutralized the dog 10 minutes before, but our officers chose to exercise discretion and responded with deliberate discernment!  

During my short tenure as a police chaplain I can tell you this is the norm and not the exception!  Numerous times I've observed officers treating people with dignity and respect who treated them with anything but respect.  From where I sit (the passenger seat of a patrol car) the men and women of Greenville's Police Department are committed, capable and called as they exercise their duties with character and compassion.  Thank you to all who respect and support our officers.  Godspeed officers as you protect and serve us!  We are grateful for you and the vital role you play in our community. 





No comments: