Saturday, August 30, 2014

Stop Throwing Stones and Extend Grace

In the last few years several high profile and popular mega-church pastors have been in the news for issues, or questions related to their leadership.  Nearly all of them can be traced back to struggles with pride and control.  Their critics, both inside and outside the church have been relentless at times.   In some instances the critics have been as harsh, or difficult in their criticism as the very behaviors they single out in these pastors.  Among the critics have been former staff and church members, many whom disregarded and bypassed the Scriptural admonition to resolve conflict face to face (Matt. 18), by going straight to the news media, social media and blogs to air their complaints.  When you read some of this stuff you feel like you are in a married couples bedroom and they are discussing intimate things that shouldn't be available to those of us on the outside.

I am not a current, or former member of the churches in question.  Nor do I personally know the pastors or those bringing the complaints.  However, I am a fellow Christ-follower, which makes me a brother in Christ to all of the men and women on both sides.  Like ALL of these people I am fully human.  I am also a pastor so I can fully appreciate what it's like to be on the receiving end of healthy, constructive criticism and unhealthy, divisive criticism.  Neither is fun when it's done in public!

My role here is not to blindly defend the accused, or jump on the bandwagon of those bringing legitimate and illegitimate complaints.  There is a biblical prescription for local congregations when it comes to discipline and reconciliation.  Oh sure, I could talk about accountability in the body of Christ and how that gives me the right to weigh in and take a side, but am I willing to affirm that when I find myself, or my church in the same situation?  And is that what I am supposed to do biblically? I don't think so.

I think our default as Christians is supposed to be grace, reconciliation and restoration of the fallen.  I take no joy in the sin(s) of others.  I ache for them and I grieve for them.  I pray for their restoration.  I am supposed to practice the "one another's," in Scripture: love one another; forgive one another; encourage one another; serve one another, etc.  You get the idea.  So I've got a huge biblical assignment as a Christ-follower and that leaves no time for me to judge, criticize, or condemn the fallen.  There but for the grace of God......

C'mon church let's live in a way that fulfills what our leader prayed for in John 17.  That we would be known by our love for one another.  I'm not saying turn a deaf ear, or disregard sin.  However, I am saying that we need to speak truth in love and practice the same forgiveness that has been granted to each of us by God without exception!

32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.  (Eph. 4:32)


No comments: