Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Blessed and Blessing

A few years ago, country singer, Martina McBride recorded the song, "Blessed". I heard it recently while returning from a birthday party for a family member where extended family and old friends gathered. As I looked around the room there were kids I held as babies who were now in college or just out, there were some seasoned saints, some who held me as a child, and others who helped me grow in ministry with much grace and patience. There were parents of kids I had led in youth ministry who were now grandparents and friends I had served with when I began my vocational ministry.

As I surveyed the room and retreated to the kitchen before a tear could slip out, I couldn't help but think how blessed my life has been. I was overwhelmed with just how much God has blessed my life and none of it had to do with anything I've done. I am so rich in God's blessings. I'm not wealthy in material possessions or awash in affluence, but I am drowning in God's gracious blessings upon my life over the years. Every good and perfect gift in my life has come from God. And my blessed state has not been dependent upon my mood, my Christian walk, or tough times because He has continued to bless me even in very difficult times and challenges. Most of the time He has blessed me in spite of my undeserving behavior, attitude and actions.

You may not be aware of God's blessings in your life. Right now you may be in a season of great pain, challenge, doubt or fear. It might be the result of a decision you've made, or something someone else has done. I've been there. Maybe not necessarily where you are, but I've known trouble, disappointment, heartache, sin and pain. However, as I reflect on those times, I can see the hand of God and His blessing in my life. Sometimes it's a hand of discipline and the blessing is within His loving correction.

From wonderful weather, abiding friendships, close family ties, children, clothing, food, heat, air conditioning, employment, transportation, clean water, and the unconditional love of people I frequently disappoint, God continues to bless my life. He blesses yours too! Sometimes we even forget that our personal accomplishments (job, education, positions, knowledge, talents,etc.) are the direct result of God's blessing. I love the translation of the latter part of verse 5 of the 23rd Psalm in the New Living Translation: "My cup overflows with blessings." Martina you are right, I have been blessed!

Recognition of God's blessing should prompt two responses from His followers: gratitude to God and blessing others in His name. Passing a blessing in the Old Testament was serious business. In simple terms it was viewed as conveying God's favor upon someone. We who have been blessed are indebted to God and must be a blessing to others. Our overflowing cups should ooze blessing. Is there someone who needs your blessing? Take the time to bless them today by calling, sending a card, flowers, an email, or by doing performing a simple act of service. Take time to thank God for His blessings. Here's the chorus to Martina's song:

I have been blessed
And I feel like I've found my way
I thank God for all I've been given
At the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones that love me
To love them so much it hurts
I have been blessed


No comments: