Tuesday, September 12, 2006

When Life Demands Grace

I believe there are daily events, actions, experiences, and people we encounter that demand grace. I don't mean the people demand it like a king touting orders to his court, but the circumstances demand grace from Christ-followers. As you survey the evangelical landscape of America do you believe most Christ-followers are dispensing grace more today than in the past? Or, have we adopted America's self-absorbed, consumer culture of affluence to the point that we extend a grace with limits, if we extend it at all?

This applies to the sublime as well as the serious. For example, yesterday, a doctor who works out where I go to sweat, camped on the horn of his late model Mercedes as we waited to turn out of the center after working out. He does not know me, but I know him. He was behind me and there was no place for me to go as rushhour traffic crawled by like a snail. Apparently, he wanted me to move faster than traffic would allow. This wasn't a friendly horn tap to wake up. It was a sustained horn blast that is usually produced with a fist on the steering wheel. My first reaction was not grace-filled. After muttering some chosen words of blessing I contemplated putting my car in park and just getting out to falsely inspect my tires as if something was wrong. I thought about going 30 MPH in the 45 MPH speed zone. I thought about shaking my fist at him outside my window. But I didn't. I simply pulled out as traffic allowed, but was unable to get him off my mind or my tail. Yes, he was tailgaiting as we pulled out. As I headed toward my next stop in the slow moving traffic on the single lane city street, I passed a truck that was trying to turn into our lane from a neighborhood street in between stoplights. I didn't stop to let him in because traffic was thick and to be honest, I was still thinking about the horn-blaring Mercedes. Then it happened, all in my rear view mirror.

The Mercedes stopped and let the truck turn in traffic and get between us! Wait a minute, he wasn't supposed to do that! There it was in the middle of a hectic commute, a small act of grace in the least expected place, by the least suspected person. While I didn't react in anger, I didn't display grace in this situation either. My focus was still on the Mercedes and its driver who had obviously moved on. Maybe he was late for a critical hospital visit, or consult with another doctor. Perhaps he had just received an important call from home or the office. He could have just been having a bad day. None of that entered my mind. I was focused on his act of anger toward me, instead of my response. Lesson learned, humble pie served and God spoke to me through the unexpected generosity of a honking-mad doctor!

I was able to return the favor when I arrived at my destination and allowed someone to pull in front of me. However, my reaction to the blaring horn caused some serious introspection. If I was slow to extend grace in that situation what about bigger issues? Am I dispensing grace toward fundamental Muslims and Christians, who invoke the name of God in their condemnation of others? Are my arms of grace wide enough to hold the convicted child-molestor, or the drunken driver convicted of vehicular homicide? Do I have enough grace for the ocassional self-centered, affluent, materially consumed people I see and overhear at Starbucks, or the Goth-decked student covered in piercings, tatoos and skull t-shirts? What about the man with obvious mental issues who uses the restroom and everyone avoids while enjoying their $3 latte's? And the Washington politicians with which I disagree on many issues that other Christians are quick to pronounce eternal judgment upon? What about that group of teenage, African-American boys with hats donned sideways, and shorts about to fall off, making off-handed outspoken remarks about women who pass them in a mall I frequent?

Grace isn't a biblical option for the people of God. That which we personally crave the most must be evident in our treatment of others. How can we ask for grace when we aren't willing to extend it to others? God's grace isn't conditional. His grace is supposed to be our model. Jesus extended grace to a thief on the cross as He faced his own death. He extended it to the very hands of those who crucified Him. Yes, he set the grace standard high. That's what makes grace so special and so uniquely Jesus!

In 1993, Willow Creek pastor, Bill Hybels bared his soul to a packed R.A. Torrey auditorium at the annual Moody Pastor's School. His sermon shared his own story of being so busy with the things of God that he forgot the very work of God in his own heart. At the time it was courageously transparent. After the message, then Moody President, Joe Stowell rose from his chair and began leading the 1200+ pastors in singing: "Grace, grace, God's grace, grace that is greater than all our sin." It was quite an emotional, holy and spiritual moment. Dr. Stowell was right, it's all grace. Perhaps like me, you need to ask God to reveal the areas of your life that need to be more grace-giving. He will. When He does, act on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we are looking at this...you are being watched!