Monday, February 15, 2010

Angels Unaware

Tucked away in Hebrews 13 is a single verse about angels in our midst. The verse is found in a passage containing closing ethical admonitions for the faithful. It follows an exhortation in the first verse to let love rule. It reads:

2Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

I'm fascinated by angels. They are God's special messengers and serve God's agenda. I'm no expert on angelology so if you're a skeptic you'll get no debate here. Over the years I've read and heard lots of stories from regular people who have been cared for, attended to, or helped by a total stranger who they couldn't find or locate after the fact. Whether your a skeptic or believer, the fact of the matter is that at various times in various places unknown, or anonymous people show up to help us when it's least expected. I have no problem acknowledging that many of these are God's emissaries.

When you stop, or take the time to help people, you really don't know who you are helping! Imagine rendering help, aid or comfort to one of God's angels? Maybe that's one of our problems. I think scams, media, and culture make us skeptical and impede the level of kindness we are willing to express to others in practical ways. What do you do with the guy sporting the "Lost Job and Hungry," sign at an intersection? Are you hesitant to give? Do you look busy and hope the light will change before they approach your car? What about the man or woman who approaches you on a downtown sidewalk panhandling? Cars on the side of the road with the hood up? You get the idea. I'm not suggesting we suspend common sense and put ourselves in unsafe situations. I'm simply wondering if more people would be helped if we took this passage more seriously?

Two weeks ago my daughter's car broke down as she got off the interstate and exited onto a state highway on her way back to college. A family in a Tahoe stopped to help. They asked if she could get the car running and promised to follow her the hour drive to campus to make sure she made it. She was able to get back on the road accompanied by the caring strangers. I'm sure they exist and live in the area, but regardless, we are simply grateful that they attended to our daughter in her time of need! We don't even know who they are, where they live, or their name. As a father, in my eyes this helpful couple attended my "angel unawares".

I thank God for His angels and the compassionate people He puts in our path to help, comfort, console and provide relief. Next time you see someone in need imagine they are Jesus. Remember His words in Matthew 25:

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' 45Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46And these will go
away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Monty, I'm slow to read all of your blog articles; slower still to respond-but always touched by the depth of your compassion. I KNOW I have guardian angels. If I shared specific events, you'd laugh at my circumstances--generally speaking they resulted from my own foolishness. Nonetheless, there were my "angels" in all of my "Oh no! Now what?" moments... Hope and pray I've not neglected too many opportunities to reciprocate to others precious to Him. Lynn