Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Farewell Hogan














Today we said goodbye to our American Bulldog, Hogan. His nicknames too many to mention; Hoganator, Hognation, and the Hoggipottamus. This was totally unexpected and out of the blue. Took him to our vet for a stomach problem and x-rays showed two blockages in his intestines. They sent us straight to the veterinary hospital and an ultrasound done to prepare for surgery revealed cancer all over his belly. We thought we were taking him for surgery to clear the blockages and would bring him home the next day. The doctor was surprised too.

We adopted Hogan last May, after I had some serious medical stuff and surgery. I can't begin to describe the comfort he brought me in recovery and how fast he bonded with our family. Hogan was gentle and loving. He especially loved kids and other dogs. Hogan's trademark was a raised paw to touch you without being asked to "shake". I had no idea that yesterday's walk would be our last one together. I'm gonna miss that ol' bully.

I've accompanied several church members over the years who had to euthanize an animal. I'm a lover by nature so extinguishing life, any life is painful for me. As Hogan was given the first injection that would put him to sleep, I couldn't help but think of that verse in the creation story (Genesis) where God puts man in charge of ALL living things and creatures. He called us to be good stewards of His creation and Hogan was a true testimony of God's creation. The comfort that 100 lb., gentle giant brought was way more than the love and care we extended to him. That is indeed a wonderful gift from God. Thank you God for the gift of Your creatures and Your creation!

Goodbye old friend. You warmed our hearts and our home. I pray we can bring as much comfort to the people God puts in front of us on our life journey as you have us.

p.s. A special thanks to Juli and Tim for bringing Hogan into our lives!

2 comments:

Dave Russell said...

Monty, I'm really sorry to hear this - we have been there and it is awful. Amy had to have her cat put down on Monday. Take care, my friend.

Unknown said...

Monty, I'm catching up on your blog and read of Hogan's death. I'm sorry--I know how pets become family.