Monday, February 08, 2010

Happy for the Saints!

Congratulations to the New Orlean Saints on their Superbowl win! They won it and played a great game. Kudos for their first ever title!

I've been a diehard Colts fan since the early 80's when I covered their "Mayflower move in the night" from Baltimore to Indy as a radio news reporter. Colts fans suffered through many hapless seasons before Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy arrived. We cheered our team during a coaching carousel that included talent like Harbaugh, Dickerson, George, and Faulk, but everything changed in 1998 when Peyton Manning was drafted. The Naptown sleepers suddenly became contenders with the football mind and coaching of Dungy leading with the arm and mental toughness of Peyton Manning. Watching Peyton orchestrate a final minutes drive is like poetry. However, last night it was not to be when he was picked off late in the game for a touchdown that sealed the Saints run for the title.

My team lost, but guess what? I got a full night of sleep last night and the sun came up this morning! It's not the end of the world. It's only a game. Yes, a big game, but it's still just a game. Sometimes fans live and die with their teams on field/court wins and losses. It's one thing to be a fan and cheer for your team, but it's another matter to let a game dictate your mood, attitude and life. I love the Colts but I don't worship them, or even my Kentucky Wildcats. My life model, purpose and joy come through the person of Christ not a ball team, job, bank account, car or golf game.

So celebrate New Orleans and Saints fans! Enjoy the win, you deserve it! You played your hearts out and I'm happy for you. Savor the win and redeem the time with your city and fans. Ok, now where did I put my Colts playbook? I need to review some things and give Peyton and Coach Caldwell a call before training camp, ha!

No comments: