Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Charlie Won!

Today we celebrate the life of a fellow warrior in the battle against cancer, Charlie Summey.  Charlie was a runner.

Upon his initial diagnosis of stage 4, Glioblastoma, a friend had a bunch of black wristbands made that simply said, "Running With Charlie."  And we did for 18 incredible months.
  • We ran through a major neuro surgery at Duke.  
  • We ran through speech, physical and occupational therapy at R.C. Peace.  
  • We ran through chemo rounds of Avastin and Temodar  
  • We ran through radiation treatments
  • We ran alongside Julie, Becca & Adam as they ran with incredible courage for a husband and father
  • We ran through the final days  
An army of family, friends and even people who didn't personally know Charlie ran in his honor.  Early Saturday morning Charlie crossed THE finish line.  Never were the words of the Apostle Paul more appropriate: I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2 Tim. 4:7).

I met Charlie, four years ago following my major surgery at Wake Forest University Medical Center.  Vigilant follow-up from that surgery brought early detection of my lymphoma.  It was during my treatments that we became close.  Charlie was intrigued about my cancer and how I was processing it with my faith.  Little did either of us know that while he was ministering to me in my cancer treatments a bomb was growing inside his head.  

Cancer patients have an immediate bond whether they personally know one another or not.  I can't describe it.  It's a connection that can only be experienced, and if you have never had it, I hope you don't ever experience it!  However, cancer provided the framework for our relationship that just grew sweeter and sweeter with every cup of coffee, text, and phone call.  No questions or topics were off limits.  Everything was discussed through the lens of hope, knowing that worst thing that could happen was death, which we viewed as the best thing whenever God was ready.  We were able to share deep things with one another as fellow pastors and cancer warriors.  Both of us were second-career pastors which was another interesting bond.  
In many ways Charlie was my pastor.  So, I have lost not only a friend, but a pastor.  So have a lot of other people.   I can't think of Charlie without smiling and even chuckling.  There's not a higher compliment either!  He was real and he allowed me to be me.  Plus, he was my fellow, self-admitted, Ragamuffin.  Rest in Jesus friend, and yes, you beat me to heaven!  I will catch up, so please have the Starbucks ready.     

No comments: