Wednesday, July 03, 2013

The Red, White & Blue

When I see the American flag (aka: Old Glory, The Stars and Stripes),  I am reminded of its rich symbolism and history.   From Francis Scott Key's vision of it captured in our National Anthem, to our national seamstress, Betsy Ross.  

These colors and symbols are rich with meaning and history.  I close my eyes and hear Kate Smith singing, "God Bless America".  I can see five U.S. Marines and a Navy corpsman raising it in battle at Iwo Jima.  I see it flying in the rubble of the World Trade Center after 911.  I see it adorning the graves of the fallen at Arlington National Cemetery.  I see it flying on the moon when the Apollo astronauts stepped onto its surface.  I see it covering the coffins of military funerals I've performed, or attended.   And I see it flying atop our Capitol.  Thousands of images and stories are connected to the flag.

Each color and symbol represents something special to me:

Red: Blood---the blood of countless men and women who gave their lives obeying orders and protecting the freedoms the flag represents.

White: Purity---the purity of ideals, rights, privileges and freedoms that drove our founding father's to envision and pursue a nation like none before.

Blue: Truth---the truth of ideals behind the freedoms we pass on to the next generation.

Stripes: Bravery---13 of them representing the number of small colonies that stood up to fight for independence from the British.

Stars: Unity in Diversity---50 individual, separate/distinct, but united states who despite their differences are linked by noble ideals and principles.

What do you see when you see the flag?  Fly your flag this week and celebrate the birth of our nation and the freedoms we all enjoy.  Happy July 4th!


No comments: