Friday, December 13, 2013

A Retirement Like No Other

Recently I attended the retirement ceremony and luncheon for a career police officer.  It was one of the most unusual I can remember.  Most retirements whether private, or public sector focus exclusively on the person retiring and their career.  And that's the way it should be!  After all, it's their day and it's about what they have have contributed to the business, or organization over the years.

However, this particular ceremony was less about the person retiring and more about the people who helped make his career possible.  I didn't know the officer, but it was obvious the respect the command and his fellow officers had for him.  When it was his turn to speak he asked his mother, father and adolescent son to come forward.  He made specific comments about each of them and the role they had played during his life and police career.  Much of it was about the sacrifices they had made so he could serve.  After brief comments about each person he gave them something personal and significant symbolizing the sacrifice they had made so his career was made possible.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the room and there were some very tough hombre's in that room!

As I reflected on that moment smack dab in the middle of Advent it struck me how selfless this simple act of gratitude was on the part of the retiring officer.  He chose to make his special day about others!  He didn't drown in the adulation and praise which would have been totally appropriate after such a distinguished career in law enforcement.  No, he chose to share that praise with others.  Isn't that what God did with Christ?  He chose to make Christ about us.  Not in a self-absorbed way, but in an act of sacrificial love.  Christ's Advent was/is about us, about our salvation and God's redemptive love for people.

This week I received good news about a CT scan, which is always a nerve racking few days of waiting for any cancer patient, or survivor, no matter how strong your faith.  Upon hearing the news, I smiled and said to myself: "Thank you Lord, for making my Christmas!  I have this news and my family to celebrate Christmas and there's no other gift I want, or need.  This is the best Christmas present ever.  I have everything I need by your good and great grace!"  I call that a "moment of gratitude".  The moment we realize this is way bigger than any of us and we are just a small part of a bigger picture.  As we reflect on it we are moved to a single response: gratitude.

The lieutenant's actions at the Christmas-retirement party is the attitude all of us should have this season---an attitude of gratitude.  Gratitude to loved ones, friends, co-workers, but especially gratitude to God for His incredible, indescribable gift of Jesus!

Find a way to thank God this season for all He has done for you.

No comments: