Thursday, December 12, 2013

I'm Not Interested in Your Call!

It's time for my annual cell phone etiquette rant.  Millennial's tune me out because you've never known life without a cell phone.  However, this isn't about your demographic.

As I write this I am sitting in a public place.  There are about 20 people counting customers and employees.  It's a very diverse group.  A 65+ year-old man seated across the room has decided to continue his conversation with his investment manager on speaker phone!  Yes, as if it wasn't bad enough when he was talking on his phone while standing in line (and as he placed his order) so we could all hear one side of the conversation, now we get to hear both sides! I am totally serious.  

How presumptuous!  How arrogant!  How rude! How selfish! This man's total disregard for those around him is astounding.  His impeccable, casual dress looks like he fell out of an Orvis, or J. Peterman catalog.  His demeanor would lead you to believe he was brought up better and with social graces.  However, I have observed that formative family income, or socio-economic standing is NO barometer for manners!  I've seen people with high social standing have zero manners and vice versa.    

What in the world is so important that you cannot step outside to have your conversation, or heaven forbid wait to take the call when you are in your car?  I'm not even gonna comment on the countless number of people who talk on their phones while someone is waiting to serve them at a retail store.  And what about those that actually have the audacity to tell the person on the other side of the cash register to wait until they finish their call!  We have become a self-consumed people.  Don't agree?  Look no further than Webster's addition of the word, "SELFIE" to the dictionary.

Go to a grocery, tire store, department store, restaurant lobby, hardware store, or doctors office and you will hear more cell phone conversations than you want to hear.  Many of them will be so loud everyone hears the conversation, or at least one side of it.  I don't like sitting next to someone on a phone call in public.  I feel like I'm eavesdropping and being rude even when I'm trying to ignore them.  But seriously, I don't care that your favorite hair stylist left the salon and the "new gal" can't do it right.  It's not going away.  But couldn't we try to be just a little more sensitive to those around us and make the call as brief as possible, excuse ourselves, or lower our voices?

I am pro technology, but I wouldn't mind going back to beeper and pager days.  Heck, I'd just like to eat my donut without hearing about your neighbor's dog constantly messing on your lawn and the legal action you are considering.  Hang up the phone please!  Excuse me, I'm sorry, I need to call my wife and admit that I had a donut because someone is gonna let her know.

No comments: