Wednesday, February 20, 2008

MIracle Baby Survives, But What About Those Who Don't?


11-month old Kyson Stowell was found alive following the killer storms that battered Tennessee two weeks ago. The storm destroyed much of Kyson's town of Castilian Springs and claimed the lives of six people, including his 24-year old mother, Kerri. According to news reports her body was found in the same field where her son was found the next day about 100 yards from where their home once stood.

Kyson was found by two firefighters from the adjacent county. At first they thought he was a toy baby doll that had been strewn with the rest of the rubble from the storms. It wasn't until he moved that they realized he was a real baby and alive. He was lying face down in the mud for hours and was found with only a t-shirt and loose diaper. Kyson is the miracle his hometown desperately needed to ease the pain from so much death and destruction.

Kyson's survival has brought hope to many across Tennessee and beyond. The hopeful point to it as a sign of God's grace and protection. But those who lost loved ones, or parents of children with terminal conditions across the country might well be asking, "But what about my child?" Its fair to ask, if God can save an 11-month old from a killer tornado using mud, then why doesn't He intervene for the thousands of terminal children around the world? I don't have an answer for that question. I'm not God and to be honest, only He can answer that question. Others may try or believe they know, but the truth is that only God knows, and only God can answer the question. I can't answer it, but I can share how I have learned to cope, process and come to peace with tragedy, natural disasters, horrible accidents, acts of violence and premature deaths. And please understand that I don't move through these without mourning, struggle, grief and heart ache. Some take much longer, but there are things to which I cling n the face of such tragedies that help me. I don't offer them as the cure all for everyone's pain, but simply as what has given me and thousands of Christ-followers hope in tough times.

First of all, I believe God can handle our questions, frustrations, pleas and complaints in situations that don't seem to be resolved the way we had planned or hoped. A casual stroll through the Psalms, Jeremiah and Lamentations confirm that people of greater faith than me were honest with God about such struggles. The fact that we have the biblical testimony of David, Moses and others who honestly struggled with such issues, or complained before the Lord makes it easier for me to do the same. One thing I've learned, God can handle my questions, laments, complaints, and pain. Remember, over half of the Psalms are laments or complaints to God. I also notice that the biblical ancients of faith followed their questions, complaints and struggles with strong declarations of their faith, or the faithfulness of God. Something we often fail to do after we complain or gripe.

Second, I trust Him. I trust Him because the Bible tells me too, people of greater faith and intellect than me have said so, and I have seen what happens when people exercise trust in God. I trust Him because I have a personal relationship with Him and realize that He loved me so much that He experienced the personal tragedy of watching His own Son suffer and die a brutal death for the likes of us----people who have repeatedly disobeyed, rejected, and even run away from Him. Yet, He loved us so much He pursued us with the never-ending passion of Jesus that defies human logic, reason and comprehension. Every time I receive communion I am overwhelmed with that thought. He did this for you, and He did this for me. He didn't have to do it. Scripture promises that His love is an everlasting love that cannot be taken from us even in death, war, suffering, nakedness, hunger, disease and more (Romans 8:35-39)!

Third, I know that He is God and I am not. A lot of doctors and theologians need to be reminded of that as well. Boy am I glad He is God and I'm not. I would show so much favoritism. My personal biases and bent would interfere with my decisions, actions and responses even when I didn't mean for them to do so. I'm human, God is not. And He doesn't owe me an explanation for anything. That's a hard pill to swallow when we lose a child, or someone we love suddenly and without warning. However, His word teaches that we are not God and that His ways and thoughts are above and beyond ours (Isa 55:8-9). He is God

Let's also remember that while little Kyson survived, his mother did not. He will be raised by family, but the one who gave him life is gone. Her heroic efforts to save her son were paid with her own life. As I reflect on that, I think about Jeremiah in the middle of serious darkness during his own time who found the power and faith to pen these words:

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed;
for his compassions never fail,
They are new every morning;
great is our faithfulness......
The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. (Lam. 3:22-23,25 TNIV)

No comments: