Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thank You Coach Mark Richt


University of Georgia head football coach, Mark Richt is known as a fierce competitor, master of X's & O's, as well as an incredible motivator. Richt is also known as a committed Christ-follower. You may have seen his cameo in the movie, "Facing the Giants". It was no accident that the Christ-centered producers called on Richt to be in the film. Richt came to Christ through the leadership of FSU football coach, Bobby Bowden while he was on FSU's coaching staff.

Coaches of major college teams experience more pressure than any of us can imagine. I've often said that the life of a college coach is not that much different from a pastor of a First Baptist Church in a small town, only on a much larger scale. The pendulum between "admiration and respect" and "what have you done for me lately" among the faithful can swing at a moment's notice. You are always a week away from incredible cheers and accolades, or the stinging criticism of Monday morning armchair quarterbacks. I can say that because I grew up in the home of a Baptist pastor. And believe me, the old adage of not being able to please everyone is probably never more true than it is for coaches and pastors. Even good decisions are open for second-guessing that those in the private sector never face.

Pastors and coaches are some of my greatest heroes. I think of Coach Reeser who coached our high school football team. I played for him and had him for a few classes and saw him at FCA. He was a coach who modeled a quiet, but constant faith in Christ. Coach J.R. Bishop (an old family friend) who coached NFL head coach Sean Payton in high school before going on to coach at Wheaton College was a deacon in one of my Dad's pastorates. J.R. was Just flat out a godly man of abiding faith and a hero of mine! I think of Tony Dungy's quiet example and testimony who per his own players lives out what he professes.

Sorry, I jumped off track. Back to Coach Richt. Friends of ours have a daughter who has Leigh's disease which is terminal. I've written in this blog a few times about little Claire and the impact she has had on us, our church and every one who comes in contact with this treasure from heaven. Her dad is a diehard Georgia fan. Georgia born and bred. A month, or so ago I wrote Coach Richt via several people in the UGA athletic office. I don't know him and of course, he doesn't know me. I simply shared Claire's story and told them of her father's love for the Bulldogs. I just asked if they would share the story with Coach Richt so he could be praying for the family and for Claire's father. To be honest I didn't expect to hear from them. And about three weeks went by with absolutely no word. I had forgotten about it. Went to the post office this week and imagine my surprise and joy when I opened a fairly generic envelope from the UGA Athletic Office and found an 8X10 glossy of Coach Richt. In all caps he wrote, "LEWIS I'M PRAYING FOR YOU," then it was signed, Mark Richt!

Major coaches get tons of requests for their autographs, signed footballs, pictures, etc. I would bet that few of them are asked to pray for someone in comparison to the demand for their picture or autograph. And I'll bet very few sign a picture saying they are praying for someone. Let's face it, it's a politically correct world and even some strong Christian coaches might hesitate to put that on a photo for fear of offending someone, or raising the eyebrows of some boosters. For example, Clemson coach Tommy Bowden has taken all kinds of grief in the press for asking his players to voluntarily attend a worship service at a local church as a team. I'm not going to debate whether that is right or wrong. There are other blogs and venues for that. I'm just pointing out Coach Bowden's unapologetic commitment to Christ and his willingness to risk some things as he stands for his faith.

Thank you Coach Richt! Lewis was blown away! I'm a diehard UK fan, but during the upcoming season, I plan to cheer for your Dawgs when they aren't playing Carolina or my beloved Wildcats! And thanks for reminding me through your generous act that Jesus endured far more than a little ridicule or criticism by some fans and media!

No comments: