Thursday, April 23, 2009

Good Medicine: More on the Recovery Journey

Meet the Rutland kids: Riley, Jack and Callie. I've had the privilege of being at the hospital after each of their birth's and dedicating them to the Lord with their parents when they were all in diapers. I continue to watch them grow and I'm grateful God has let me be part of their family and young lives. They always make me smile and laugh.

If your kids are older and you don't have grandchildren you'll appreciate this. Kids are great medicine. Especially young children (7 and below). If you have any doubt, just borrow some and go visit a retirement or nursing home. Watch the place light up. I love to hug and hold them. Actually I'm like a leech trying to drain the youthfulness out of them so I can absorb it in my aging body.

Their youth and energy is contagious. Kids are infectious. You never know what they are going to say, share, or how they are going to respond. Unlike most adults who've learned to be guarded, suspicious and no longer trust, they are blatantly transparent and vulnerable. They aren't afraid to ask questions to satisfy their curiosity, even if it's something an adult wouldn't dare ask. I don't know which is more fun: children asking or stating the unthinkable; or watching their parents squirm when they do, ha!

Jesus made children a priority. He never dismissed, or ignored them. If anything, He empowered them and told the rest of us that our faith better become more like theirs if we had any interest in God's way of doing things. Last night Riley, Jack and Callie came to visit and brought their parents and a meal. Carefully holding them in my lap (I've still got tender post surgery wounds in my tummy), the world stopped for a moment. I didn't think about tumors, surgery, recovery, pending labs to confirm lymphoma, medical bills, or potential treatment plans. All I thought about was pure love and joy. Now that's great medicine.

In one of the early "Chicken Soup for the Soul," books, the story is told of 6-year old Sasha, whose parents just brought home her baby brother from the hospital. One night the parents found little Sasha, in the baby's room next to the crib. She was whispering, "Baby, tell me what heaven is like, I'm starting to forget."

Children are the breath of heaven. Being around them is to be reminded of God's priorities, tender care and deep affection for each of us. Now that's the best medicine anyone could receive. "Holy Father, thank you for last night's unexpected gift and a reminder of what heaven is all about."

No comments: