Monday, April 13, 2009

Grateful for the Saints & Servants at NC Baptist Hospital

All praise and gratitude to God for the saints at North Carolina Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem! Teri and I are grateful to every nurse, nurse's aide, physician, housekeeping staff, food services, volunteer, valet associates, anesthetists, resident and physician-fellows who attended to me during my surgery at Holy Week. To say we are grateful to God for Bowman Gray Medical School at Wake Forest University Medical School, specifically the urology team and my physicians, Dr. Assimos and Dr. Hemal would be an understatement! We really believe God led us to Wake Urology and that was more than affirmed with my recent surgery. I still have a long way to go and only time (the next six weeks are critical) and God's healing hand will tell if this will take care of my unique medical issue, but we are convinced that God has been ahead and over my entire medical journey from discovery to surgery. We started this process with a series of tests, labs, scans and biopsies. With each one we waited, watched and prayed. Now we will continue to wait, watch and pray as we entrust my recovery to His care and continued glory.

One day I hope to be able blog, write and talk about my experience in greater detail in a way that will benefit others and bring God glory. Right now I'm still reflecting, meditating, taking it all in, thinking and praying about all that has happened. I can't write or talk about it without breaking down right now. Here's one small reflection: Every time LaToya, Cheryl, or Summer (and other nurses I've possibly forgotten) emptied my catheter and measured my urine I cried. Every time I cried my abdomen ached because of the nature of the surgery. It hurt to cry and laugh. Still does. It hurt to have someone stoop down and without giving it another thought empty my urine. Talk about servanthood! And to think this was happening on Maundy Thursday, the same day long ago the gospels describe Jesus, humbling Himself and stooping to wash the feet of His disciples. So I'll continue to recover and as I do, Jesus and God through His Word and servants (friends, family and our Mosaic family), will continue to wash my feet, something I'm learning is necessary but something I would prefer to be doing for others.

Talk to you in a six to eight weeks!

1 comment:

John Hornback said...

Monty, our best to you. Please use your blog or CaringBridge to chronicle your journey and allow opportunities for encouragement. CaringBridge has been very useful to us in several situations over the past five years. John Hornback. jhornback@charter.net.