Thursday, June 25, 2009

Governor You Are Forgiven!

Governor Sanford,

Thank you for going public with your affair.  It was the right thing to do.  Regardless of the media spin It took courage, and I'm glad it came from you and not a news photo of you caught in public with another woman .  During your public confessional you asked for forgiveness from your wife, sons, family, staff, and the residents of South Carolina. 

Governor, you have my forgiveness and prayers.   And yes, I am disappointed in this news, and disheartened that you lied about your whereabouts and potentially put your office and state government in jeopardy, but greater men than you and I have let sin cloud their judgment and determine their actions.  But that said, as a Christ-follower I have no choice but forgiveness.  Scripture is clear.  I cannot deprive you of my forgiveness when I have been forgiven so much more by God.  If I have learned anything on my journey as a Christ-follower, it's that we are all broken, fallen, and imperfect. And for those Christ-followers who say, "Well I forgive him, but..." let me simply recall the words of Jesus:  

Mark 11:25                                                                                                                                             25And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses."

Matthew 18:32-35                                                                                                                                 32Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' 34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."


Governor, I am not asking you to resign from office either.  I believe you will address that matter at the appropriate time after wise counsel, discussions with your family, and thoughtful prayer.  I am more concerned about praying for your marriage and your sons.  You have a tough and difficult road of biblical reconciliation ahead and you need space to do it.  I'm not sure living in the fishbowl of public life and the demanding schedule of leading a state is going to make that possible, but you must come to that decision.  

Governor, if you are like me, you married way above your head.   Your wife has publicly stated that she wants to pursue reconciliation.  Despite the critics and pundits, having counseled many couples in your situation, you are fortunate to have such a mate by your side.  In this day of self-centered preservation that seeks retribution, such a response is indeed rare!  I pray with all my heart that you will not be another statistic and that you will fight for your marriage with more energy and passion than you have fought the legislature, or courts in any previous battles!  And may the news media, legislature and my fellow citizens give you and your family some privacy to work through this "family" matter.  May God's grace, wisdom and abiding love be upon you and your family as you make this difficult journey.   

In Christ,

A Recovering Sinner Saved by Grace


No comments: