Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Secular Shapes With Spiritual Applications

Some Christ-followers get real uptight when the church uses secular resources to effectively communicate spiritual truths to 21st century culture.  However, the church is simply being smart and taking a cue from Jesus with such an approach.  Jesus repeatedly used images (many of them agrarian) from every day life to teach deep spiritual truths.  Think about it.  Bread, vines, light, sheep, shepherds, seeds, sand, rock and other secular resources were used by Jesus to bring the gospel to life for First Century seekers.  

Art, media, and literature have been used by great theologians and bible teachers to communicate spiritual truths for a long time.   Secular songs have long been used by Christ-followers to bring glory to God.  Here are just a few from the past and present that enjoyed success outside of the church before they were used by the church:
  • God Bless the Broken Road
  • You've got a Friend
  • You Raise Me Up
  • Lean On Me
  • What the World Needs Now Is Love
Country vocalists, Lady Antebellum's hit song, I Run To You is a perfect example of lyrics that Christ-follower's can joyfully proclaim.  Read the excerpts below and substitute "Jesus" wherever you see the words baby.

I run from hate
I run from prejudice
I run from pessimists
But I run too late
I run my life
Or is it running me
Run from my past
I run too fast
Or too slow it seems
When lies become the truth
That's when I run to you

[Chorus]
This world keeps spinning faster
Into a new disaster so I run to you
I run to you baby  {Jesus}
And when it all starts coming undone
Baby {Jesus} you're the only one I run to
I run to you


Running from lies, prejudice, hate, pessimists and running to Jesus is sound teaching.  I love the imagery of humanity's need to run toward Jesus.  Who doesn't need something or someone to run to?  Why not encourage the world to run to Christ?  Now that's a song worth singing.


No comments: