Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Divine Healer

A friend is working at historic John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. The other day she walked by the 117-year old, "Divine Healer" (aka: Christus Consolator) statue that adorns the lobby of the domed, Billings Administration Building. She said the inscription made her think of me and my current battle with NHL. She's an RN so mercy, compassion, care and healing are in her blood.

Jesus words of comfort in Matthew 11 are at the base of the statue:

"COME unto ME All Ye That Are Weary And Heavy Laden And I Will Give You REST"

Oh how I need that in my life and not just during a health battle. I run to Him when I'm tired, hurting, broken, wounded, frustrated, seeking forgiveness, and desiring peace. These words remind all of us who follow Christ that THE Healer stands ready to hold, comfort, heal and help all of those who are weighed down by trouble, pain, sickness, or loss. This brings to mind a word of fulfilled prophecy about Christ found in Isaiah 53:

But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed. {emphasis mine}

Everyone needs the Healer!

Click here (John Hopkins Hospital) for the full scoop on the statue from the John Hopkins' website.

No comments: