Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Side Effects I'd Like to Have

Anyone familiar with chemo knows there are side effects that accompany the toxic brew used to kill cancer cells and unfortunately good cells too.

I've had the privilege of experiencing the following common side effects, but I'm grateful they haven't been simultaneous, or continuous.

Here are some of the common side effects for my particular treatment, R-CHOP:
  • Numbness/tingling/loss of feeling in hands and toes
  • Hair loss
  • Dry-mouth, Mouth and throat sores
  • Nausea
  • Cold, Sinus or Flu-like symptoms
  • Constipation
  • Risk for infection (neutropenia) due to low cell/blood counts
  • Chemo brain (memory loss, focus issues, trouble finding the right word, etc.
  • Bone pain (for those on Neulasta to boost blood cell production)
  • Nosebleeds
It takes awhile for some of these to start so you can't get cocky and think you've dodged the bullet because you don't have one of them the week of treatment. Mine started 7-10 days after chemo and they continue, but none are severe. Then you have to begin the battle to treat the side effects! Welcome to the vicious cycle of chemo.

It occurred to me that some of us would like some alternative side effects instead of the common ones previously listed. So here's some side effects I'm hoping to develop in no particular order:
  • Six-pack abs
  • A head of thick and full black hair
  • The ability to dunk a basketball
  • Genius IQ
  • Fluent in a second language without studying
  • Plumbing and HVAC skills
  • 7 strokes off my golf game
You gotta laugh! I thank God for my medical team and their vigilance in dealing with the ongoing issues related to chemo. My issues are nothing compared to some of my sisters and brothers battling for their lives with chemo and transplants. They are the real heroes.

1 comment:

Charles said...

Maybe 4-pack abs, a shock of blond hair under a visor, dunk a basketball in the trash can, you're already genius, 2nd language could be 'tongues' ... now we're getting questionable. Perhaps the plumbing and HVAC ... BUT you've got to be kidding! 7 strokes!!? NEVER HAPPEN
:-)